PC turns off randomly

NinKorr

A bit less than a year ago I built a PC:

Processor: i9-12900F

Cooler: be quiet! DARK ROCK PRO 4

Graphics Card: Palit RTX 4090 GameRock
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS ELITE

RAM: Patriot Signature Line (DDR5 4800MHz 2x16GB)
PSU: DeepCool PX1000G

Case: ZALMAN Z10 with stock fans. 1x120mm and 3x140mm

Aaand... It works most of the time. Sometimes it just shuts itself off with speeding up all coolers for a short period of time. It happens not under heavy load, and quite irregularly. 

No overclocks, no undervolting, everything as "default" as it could be. 

It's not overheat. It has 30°C CPU and ~40°C GPU once I managed to catch statistics right before yet another shutting down.
I tried update all drivers and motherboard firmware, it also didn't help.
I was excited to find out that bios has "Power Load" parameter, which is recommended to use when PC shutting down under low power consumption. Looked exactly like my problem! But it didn't help either.

It's not caused by OS, because PC turned itself once I looked for other options in bios, that could relate to my problem.

Also, PSU and GPU worked a couple weeks in my older PC, while I waited for the CPU and motherboard to arrive, and I had no issues except being extremely bottlenecked by an old CPU🙃

Benchmarks give reasonable results, it goes through stress tests just fine. It renders huge scenes. It handles running AI models. I could play heavy games without any issues, 120FPS with RTX and maxed out settings without upscaling (I have only 2K displays though). But working with documents, watching YouTube or Twitch streams might cause problems. I write this post second time, because previous attempt was lost due this exact issue 😑

Also, after couple turnings off PC looks a bit more stable, until I turn it off manually and keep it this way for a day or so...

Windows journal has this:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source: Kernel-Power

Code: 41

Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
Task Category: (63)

I would start with checking all the power cables to see if there are any glitchy connected. Maybe even the power cable from the wall can be scetchy.

After that I would try with another powersupply.

The more working spare parts you have that you can troubleshoot with the better.

14 minutes ago, NinKorr said:

Sometimes it just shuts itself off with speeding up all coolers for a short period of time

This seems unlikely to be a bad PSU. After the speed up does it actually shutdown rather than just sit there with full fan speed?

I'd DISM/SFC and maybe DDU.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

17 minutes ago, NinKorr said:

Windows journal has this:

Also, is there anything else in the event viewer in Error/Critical? Code 41 is just the boot up notification that it didn't shut down correctly

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

2 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Also, is there anything else in the event viewer in Error/Critical?

Nope. I sorted journal, and only critical errors are these ones, always right on the time of this shutting down.

6 minutes ago, OddOod said:

After the speed up does it actually shutdown rather than just sit there with full fan speed?

Fans stop after short period of time, yes.

14 minutes ago, OddOod said:

I'd DISM/SFC and maybe DDU.

Since it happens in BIOS (UEFI) as well, I don't think tweaking something in windows would help.

As I mentioned earlier:

33 minutes ago, NinKorr said:

It's not caused by OS, because PC turned itself once I looked for other options in bios

Fair. Can you try reseating RAM, GPU, CPU, and all power cables at both ends? 
I'd first guess a bad mobo, but you just replaced that, so can you run mmemtest?

10 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Can you try reseating RAM, GPU, CPU, and all power cables at both ends?

I fully reassembled it while troubleshooting, and moved m.2 ssd to other slot "just incase".

But I'll try tomorrow once again. I doubt it would help, but it won't hurt either, so I'll give it a try.

14 minutes ago, OddOod said:

I'd first guess a bad mobo, but you just replaced that

Mobo and cpu are new-ish, just as other parts, but it's not a guarantee that they are fine. Have no idea how to test them separately without buying replacement, though, which is not an option.

13 minutes ago, OddOod said:

can you run mmemtest?

Not rn, I don't have a reliable usb drive. Should buy one at first.

Also, PC seems stable once again. It turned off three times in ~20 minutes after initial boot, and now it "warmed up" and works as intended. That's an odd pattern...

On 4/17/2024 at 9:35 PM, OddOod said:

Fair. Can you try reseating RAM, GPU, CPU, and all power cables at both ends? 

Issue "evolved" today, and gave me a huge hint.
If previously reboot worked fine right after this turning off, today it didn't boot on the first try, and made five short "beeps" instead. Second boot was ok though. And in a few minutes cycle repeated: turning off, beep-signal on a first reboot, and then correct boot into the windows.
According to google this code means CPU problem, so in addition to just reseating CPU I also tried gently clean up CPU contacts with alcohol.
Since this problems happens irregularly, I'm unsure if it helped, but no random reboots happened yet.
I would feel stupid if that's the reason😅

BTW, I originally thought that it's a cpu or mobo issue, so both were sent to the shop for a warranty replacement or a fix just to arrive back few weeks later with commentary "I dunno, looks fine to me". At least it didn't cost me anything except time...