My computer doesn't boot

pcboyguy

Hello

Yesterday i started my computer and launched a game. A few minutes after i noticed i couldn't click anything but my cursor was moving. After a minute it bluescreened. It shut down and when I tried to start it again it started but didn't boot. The screen lights up but no more than that. There are LED's on the motherboard for troubleshooting and one's for CPU, one for RAM, one for boot and one for VGA. The VGA lights up on startup and doesn't shut off because something is obviously wrong. I tried reseating the RAM and the GPU and nothing different. I have a R7 3700X so there is no integrated graphics so can't try that. I did switch the GPU (2060 6gb) for a GT 710 i had lying around and it didn't work either. I switched monitor and cable and STILL nothing.  Thank you for reading and if you know what i can do please help me. 

13 minutes ago, pcboyguy said:

Hello

Yesterday i started my computer and launched a game. A few minutes after i noticed i couldn't click anything but my cursor was moving. After a minute it bluescreened. It shut down and when I tried to start it again it started but didn't boot. The screen lights up but no more than that. There are LED's on the motherboard for troubleshooting and one's for CPU, one for RAM, one for boot and one for VGA. The VGA lights up on startup and doesn't shut off because something is obviously wrong. I tried reseating the RAM and the GPU and nothing different. I have a R7 3700X so there is no integrated graphics so can't try that. I did switch the GPU (2060 6gb) for a GT 710 i had lying around and it didn't work either. I switched monitor and cable and STILL nothing.  Thank you for reading and if you know what i can do please help me. 

Can you plug a GPU into a different PCIe slot?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

There is a different PCIe slot on the MB but i don't know if it supports a GPU. I can try tho. Can't right now tho

3 minutes ago, pcboyguy said:

There is a different PCIe slot on the MB but i don't know if it supports a GPU. I can try tho. Can't right now tho

Any long PCIe slot will support a GPU

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

the gpu is in the other pcie slot now and nothing changed. just a tiny rectangle close to the middle of the screen but still the light on the MB and no boot

29 minutes ago, pcboyguy said:

the gpu is in the other pcie slot now and nothing changed. just a tiny rectangle close to the middle of the screen but still the light on the MB and no boot

Always good to double triple check the cables. It's possible one wasn't quite seated right and it "died" on you due to insufficient power. If you find any cables aren't 100% seated, check the pins / connection for any possible damage. 

Couldn't hurt to replace the pcie cable with a different one (just make sure it's from your power supply). If it's gpu isn't posting it could be a bad cable and not the pcie slot itself. Id give that a go and see if it still doesn't boot.

Also to note, have you change any power settings lately? Or Bios settings?

Just now, pcboyguy said:

Ok, thank you. I'll try

Keep me posted, reply or shoot me a DM so I'm notified. I empathize with these types of situations.. whenever it would happen to me, my stomach gets sick and I can't let it go until the fix is found lol. We'll get ya there bud

I tried with a different PCI-E cable from my power supply and it didn't work. I also made sure that the 24 pin, CPU cable so on were good and it didn't work either. Thank you for your help!

7 minutes ago, Slide-Byte said:

Keep me posted, reply or shoot me a DM so I'm notified. I empathize with these types of situations.. whenever it would happen to me, my stomach gets sick and I can't let it go until the fix is found lol. We'll get ya there bud

Thank you so much!

3 minutes ago, pcboyguy said:

Thank you so much!

You got it. Sorry to hear about the inconvenience but at least it's giving you an LED indicator though sometimes a bent pin in the respective area of the CPU that's tied to another component can flag an LED for that part. This is extremely misleading but also rare. Haven't had it happen to me but I've heard it's possible. Worse comes to worse, we start a gofund me to call upon the Almighty Linus himself to fix your PC on YT! Lol wouldn't that be something. But this seems like it'll be a quick easy fix one the point of failure is properly identified!

That would be a dream of mine LOL! I'm a giant fan of him because I watched like all his videos because i was very interesed. Yeah, thanks for all the support! What can I do now? 

I don't think it's possible a pin is bent becuae i've never ever in my life taken it out. Inet built my PC for me over three years ago so. Inet is a company in Sweden that builds computers and is a retailer. They are quite famous here

Just now, pcboyguy said:

I don't think it's possible a pin is bent becuae i've never ever in my life taken it out. Inet built my PC for me over three years ago so. Inet is a company in Sweden that builds computers and is a retailer. They are quite famous here

Goyta. Yeah I would say that isnt likely the case. I would check for those cables just to ease your mind there, hard to believe it just suddenly died on ya but it is possible.

9 minutes ago, pcboyguy said:

That would be a dream of mine LOL! I'm a giant fan of him because I watched like all his videos because i was very interesed. Yeah, thanks for all the support! What can I do now? 

Honestly same, granted Linus is Mr cool tech guy but I'd love to grab a beer with Mr. Murdock and back n forth some terrible puns or Tim Cook impressions.

4 minutes ago, Slide-Byte said:

Goyta. Yeah I would say that isnt likely the case. I would check for those cables just to ease your mind there, hard to believe it just suddenly died on ya but it is possible.

Which cables more specifically should I check/reseat

3 minutes ago, Slide-Byte said:

Honestly same, granted Linus is Mr cool tech guy but I'd love to grab a beer with Mr. Murdock and back n forth some terrible puns or Tim Cook impressions.

😆

Go for where the LED code is indicating. So the VGA / Pcie cable supplying power to the GPU. Check the connections for proper seating, and the lines for pinching. Could also check inside where the pins are and give a good assessment. Again, wouldnt hurt to just swap the PCIE cable out. If its giving the same LED code regardless of the GPU you slot that's where you turn attention to first. Doesnt hurt to double check that the CPU and 24pin for the MOBO is also seated happily, if those arent getting sufficient power that's obviously an issue too.

I reseated the GPU power, CPU power and 24-Pin but still nothing. I also switched the PCIE slot back to the original one. 

25 minutes ago, pcboyguy said:

I reseated the GPU power, CPU power and 24-Pin but still nothing. I also switched the PCIE slot back to the original one. 

Sorry for the delay, was in a raid lol. Are you able to swap the cable going to the GPU? Just to rule that out. Outside of that if you have a buddy or somewhere you could test the card in a different set up, I'm reluctant to think the board is dead since it's recognizing components and trying to post but cant

Too bad your cpu doesnt have integrated graphics lol but just takes time, gotta rule things out one bit at a time.

57 minutes ago, Slide-Byte said:

Sorry for the delay, was in a raid lol. Are you able to swap the cable going to the GPU? Just to rule that out. Outside of that if you have a buddy or somewhere you could test the card in a different set up, I'm reluctant to think the board is dead since it's recognizing components and trying to post but cant

It’s fine. I did try swapping the cable and it didn’t work. My brother doesn’t let me test things in his stuff but I can see. Maybe at a friend’s house. I won’t be able to answer for some time but I’ll text here when I can. Probably tomorrow afternoon for me then. Don’t know in which time zone you are in. I’m in -1 btw. 

58 minutes ago, Slide-Byte said:

Too bad your cpu doesnt have integrated graphics lol but just takes time, gotta rule things out one bit at a time.

Yeah, and again thank you! 

1 minute ago, pcboyguy said:

It’s fine. I did try swapping the cable and it didn’t work. My brother doesn’t let me test things in his stuff but I can see. Maybe at a friend’s house. I won’t be able to answer for some time but I’ll text here when I can. Probably tomorrow afternoon for me then. Don’t know in which time zone you are in. I’m in -1 btw. 

No worries, I'll keep an eye out. Rooting for ya dude. I would swap just one component at a time to isolate the issue, takes time but its a more surefire way to narrow it down. I'd start with seeing if the GPU will post on another system. if it does, the problem may reside with the PSU or the motherboard so I would look in that that direction next. Dont get discouraged, you'll get it!