Mounting HDD

Snagoot
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,
7 minutes ago, Snagoot said:

would I need to buy anything to slot the drive into the bay if I did that?

Yes. they make various kinds of adapters to mount a 3.5" drive in 5.25" bays. See this example, Amazon link.

6 minutes ago, Snagoot said:

The points at the front seem to be too close to the fans unless there are specific ones I'm meant to use?

It's likely to mount against the wall, maybe flat almost inline, with the GPU? Do those holes line up? Are there any holes in the floor of the case for a HD? Honestly you could leave it where you have it, but I would put some double sided tape in a couple to "secure" it if you aren't going to screw it down. As mentioned hard drives don't like to be bumped. 

Also you don't need 4 screws in it, a couple could be fine. I've also just drilled my own holes before to mount drives where I wanted. Always another option.

A friend recently gave me a spare 1TB HDD he had laying around and I was wondering how to mount it. I seem to have a Versa H15 Case but the previous owner removed the drive bay that should be there. I already have a HDD installed into the bottom of the case and was wondering if I could install a second one similarly or if I should try by a offbrand rack for both HDD. I am happy to remove the disc drive if I need the space. Thank in advance for the help. 

pcphoto.jpg

You want it mounted since vibrations and sudden movements can damage the HDD. However, stashing a drive in the 5.5" bay is something I did for years. Very rare use cases from Disk Drives anymore and nothing a cheap $10-$20 portable cd drive can't solve if you ever actually need one.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: 6 various HDDs and SSDs
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49"
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

It's a pretty rare case that doesn't have a mount point for a hard drive. There are holes visible in several places in that picture. Are you sure there are no mounting points for a hard drive?

1 hour ago, MrSimplicity said:

You want it mounted since vibrations and sudden movements can damage the HDD. However, stashing a drive in the 5.5" bay is something I did for years. Very rare use cases from Disk Drives anymore and nothing a cheap $10-$20 portable cd drive can't solve if you ever actually need one.

would I need to buy anything to slot the drive into the bay if I did that? Also is the drive at the bottom of the case safe from vibrations? It's only screwed in but it doesn't wiggle and I rarely move my case.

47 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

It's a pretty rare case that doesn't have a mount point for a hard drive. There are holes visible in several places in that picture. Are you sure there are no mounting points for a hard drive?

The points at the front seem to be too close to the fans unless there are specific ones I'm meant to use? The back of the case has only a little room but doesn't seem to have anywhere to put a drive.

backlpcohotio.jpg

7 minutes ago, Snagoot said:

would I need to buy anything to slot the drive into the bay if I did that?

Yes. they make various kinds of adapters to mount a 3.5" drive in 5.25" bays. See this example, Amazon link.

6 minutes ago, Snagoot said:

The points at the front seem to be too close to the fans unless there are specific ones I'm meant to use?

It's likely to mount against the wall, maybe flat almost inline, with the GPU? Do those holes line up? Are there any holes in the floor of the case for a HD? Honestly you could leave it where you have it, but I would put some double sided tape in a couple to "secure" it if you aren't going to screw it down. As mentioned hard drives don't like to be bumped. 

Also you don't need 4 screws in it, a couple could be fine. I've also just drilled my own holes before to mount drives where I wanted. Always another option.