Old Radeon card not working in an AM4 motherboard

LookAss
Go to solution Solved by Levent,

I am not sure if pre HD7XXX series cards have EFI compatibility. You would usually need to enable CSM and enable legacy vbios compat. Your motherboard might have messed up PCIE slot too.

I have an ASrock B450M motherboard with an R5 5600x. I put an HD 6970 in it. It didn't post a signal nor did the gpu fans spin (It was getting a bit warm after a while) the psu and cpu fans did apin. I tried it in my roommate's PC and it works in an lga1200 h410 motherboard. That was the fourth gpu that didn't work in my pc so I took his 1660 super that works and it booted right up in my PC.

Is there a bios setting or something that might be different that I can change so that the old radeon would work.

If you are interested what to look out for when cleaning a gpu and how I got in the situation so I have to use an HD 6970 you can read down below.

My Vega 56 GPU died (it was acting a bit weird and crashing until I tweaked the voltages, clocks and a gpu bios flash so it worked flawlessly for almost a year). Bought a new Vega 56 as it was the best price per performance. It was a bit toasty so I repasted and replaced thermal pads so I could get a better overclock and less noise. VERY BAD IDEA. VEGA 56/64 cards with the HBM2 memory have the GPU core and the vram right next to eachother connected by fragile gold traces protected with almost nothing. I knew to look out for that and only touch the silicone when cleaning the old paste. Was really careful and bought everything to do the job and broke it with a qtip (repasted successfully at least 10 gpus before). Then my cousin gave me a 1650 super which also didn't work in my nor my roommates pc. My friend gave me his old 6970 just for a display card for college or light gaming. Would be pretty nice to get at least that working as my laptop is broken and I study data science so I need my own pc to work on projects comfortably until I save some money for something better.

check the used market for a rx 4(60)(70)(80) for <$50, i know theres no incompatibilities cause i ran them with a 5600, and you be able to ACTUALLY game, which wouldnt be happening with a 6970 haha

I am not sure if pre HD7XXX series cards have EFI compatibility. You would usually need to enable CSM and enable legacy vbios compat. Your motherboard might have messed up PCIE slot too.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, BentleyOwen123 said:

check the used market for a rx 4(60)(70)(80) for <$50, i know theres no incompatibilities cause i ran them with a 5600, and you be able to ACTUALLY game, which wouldnt be happening with a 6970 haha

Nah man too weak, I play CS2 and PUBG mostly and those wouldn't run that very competitively. And a bit hard to find at that price at least in Croatia. Maybe aliexpress 570 for 50euro but long shipping. Was thinking of a Strix version of a Vega 56 (which runs everything well) with a beefy cooler that could probably handle the dry thermalpaste for arround 90euros. Or I could save a bit more and buy a 1080 for 130 euros which I can repaste and replace the pads if it runs hot safely.

huh weird, the 6970 is better than a 480?

i was totally unaware of that