Discs for LightScribe drive

da na
Go to solution Solved by The Pixel Polygon,

You pretty much will need LightScribe discs for direct labelling since they have that ring in the centre that tells the drive what position it's in.

I'd like to label several CDs with LightScribe as I have a massive number of laptops with LightScribe-enabled drives and simply would like to use it a few times.
However, LightScribe DVDs go for around $2 nowadays and CDs go for around $1.50 per disc, and I would love to not pay that price.

I have heard that non-LightScribe discs can be used in LightScribe drives to varying success; my question is, should I buy inkjet-printable discs, or thermal printable discs? Since LightScribe uses laser etching, I would think the inkjet discs might get scorched a little bit to show the image, and perhaps the thermal printable discs might get hot enough to bring out the ink.

Or, have I been misinformed and I do, in fact, absolutely need the specific media?
Thanks!

You pretty much will need LightScribe discs for direct labelling since they have that ring in the centre that tells the drive what position it's in.

6 minutes ago, The Pixel Polygon said:

Makes sense with that little extra sensor lightscribe drives have. Thanks!

You would have to use lightscribe media to be able to use the lightscribe features on the drive as they have special markings to perform the printing process.

Technology connections did a video on this a while ago on this