Reset vs Reinstalling Windows?

kitnoman

So I've been using this specific OS from the beginning. Started as window 7, upgraded my PC, then upgraded to windows 10 and then upgraded my pc again. I've cloned this from a hdd, to 2.5ssd to nvme. As I've used this same OS on multiple systems, I've used at least 4brands of motherboards across my upgrades. Technically, it is still working, it runs my my games and programs.  But right now, I'm unable to open microsoft store or run apps that's been installed through it like, calculators, open pictures natively, etc. It might be the profile, but I'm unable to create a new one as the options are greyed out or won't open. As I've used this over the years, I've edited the registry and uninstalled several apps(bloatwares) that can't be disable or uninstall thru normal means. I've probably tried everything to fix  this and the only thing I haven't tried are reset and reinstalling the OS. I personally, haven't use reset before, but have read through it. So if I choose reset and keep my files, it should reset all settings to default, uninstall app/games, keep my files across several drives and remain windows 10 pro, right? Would reinstalling a better solution(but probably takes longer)? I imagine it would be longer since I would have to save a backup to all my files first.

1 hour ago, kitnoman said:

Would reinstalling a better solution(but probably takes longer)? I imagine it would be longer since I would have to save a backup to all my files first.

It will take longer, but doing a clean reinstall will completely "replace" the OS, while just resetting isn't guaranteed to fix your issues.
Basically, reinstalling Windows is more effective.

1 hour ago, kitnoman said:

remain windows 10 pro

When you get to the product key part of the installation, simply enter the original product key you used with Windows 7, as long as it is a "Pro" key, it will automatically install Windows 10 Pro.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!