Time for a new GPU, need help

Jesse221

Ok so I’ve narrowed down my options to either a 4070ti or 7900xt.  I can get either with a waterblock for about 700ish dollars.  In the past I’ve used an R9 390 and that thing rocked and lasted a long time since it had 8gb memory which was a lot for the time.  Now I’m using a 2060s and I really should have gotten a better gpu at the time but I had built the whole system and it was my first water cooled etc so some money went into that and then GPU pricing went insane etc etc so I’ve just been waiting the last few years.  Now prices have come down and I’m able to find some either lightly used or open box for a good price.  One of the major reasons to switch to Nvidia was at the time the two video editing softwares I used didn’t support AMD (video studio and pinnacle) now they do but I’m not sure if Nvidia is still better or not.  I don’t really use raytracing in games (2060s can’t really handle it anyway) so not a deal breaker.  I still think AMD has better software UI where Nvidia still feels like it’s from the 90’s but also not a deal breaker.  No interest in 4k as that’s just a bigger money pit.

so for 2560x1440 ultrawide

light gaming (don’t game as much as I did but still like to occasionally) mainly warzone, 2142, helldivers 2

some hobby video editing on snowboarding, kayaking and MTB trips

and watching movies (either one here obviously just stating what the PC is used for).

what’s the non biased take?  The extra memory has me wonder if the 7900xt is the better route but then I’m not sure how well AMD current encoder is vs cuda (in the past it sucked) and then also with dlss now I’m not sure what more important for future proofing games dlss or vram.  The only reason I can even play warzone now with a 2060s at 1440 is because dlss.

rest of the system is

ryzen 7 3800x

32gb ram

Hmm no inputs, was hoping to buy one today but tough call which.

6 hours ago, Jesse221 said:

...the two video editing softwares I used didn’t support AMD (video studio and pinnacle) now they do but I’m not sure if Nvidia is still better or not.

Nvidia encode quality is still better although AMD's solution has much improved.

...I don’t really use raytracing in games...

Good. Raytracing only affects lighting. If you lower every other graphics setting and max out Raytracing, the game will still look terrible. Not all games support Raytracing anyway.

...so for 2560x1440 ultrawide

light gaming (don’t game as much as I did but still like to occasionally) mainly warzone, 2142, helldivers 2...

That is a 34% in screen space and you will want an equivalent amount of extra VRAM to run the larger framebuffer

2 hours ago, Jesse221 said:

Hmm no inputs, was hoping to buy one today but tough call which.

I propose

After which you can sell your 2060S, buy a new 5700X3D, 5800X3D, or the soon to be revealed 5000XT

And then sell the 3800X to recoup the expenditure

11 hours ago, Salted Spinach said:

Nvidia encode quality is still better although AMD's solution has much improved.

Good. Raytracing only affects lighting. If you lower every other graphics setting and max out Raytracing, the game will still look terrible. Not all games support Raytracing anyway.

That is a 34% in screen space and you will want an equivalent amount of extra VRAM to run the larger framebuffer

I propose

After which you can sell your 2060S, buy a new 5700X3D, 5800X3D, or the soon to be revealed 5000XT

And then sell the 3800X to recoup the expenditure

Ok so the 7900xt is even better than the gre so you’d lean that way vs the 4070ti?  I found them within 25.00 of each other so the only really hold ups are video rendering and dlss.  Are we talking a couple minutes difference rendering or like a half hour like before?

Or the better question is am I losing anything in video rendering vs my current 2060s?  As long as I’m not taking a step backwards it wouldn’t be as big a deal.

Ok well I did a test video on my new laptop that’s AMD cpu/gpu and the editing software run quick so seems I’ll be ok.  Ordered 7900xt, back on team red.