AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Is this worth using in a NAS?

Posted (edited)

I no longer use my PC and I am contemplating building a NAS using Sata SSD drives. In my pc I have a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X and was wondering if it is worth repurposing the CPU or selling it to buy a different one?

I will be using it for Media back up , phone laptop etc. But I also want to be able to store 4k movies on it and stream it to my TV using Jellyfin/Plex.

Cheers

Edited by Luke30

Depends on what you plan on doing. A basic NAS does need many cores.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It's going to be used for media storage mostly. 

basically ps5's cpu but faster with more cache

12 minutes ago, Luke30 said:

It's going to be used for media storage mostly. 

If I were in your shoes and if I didnt have a CPU for my media server and I could upgrade my 3700X in the process, I would 100% take that oppurtunity to get a 5800X3D and a decent CPU cooler. However, alternative would be something like 3200G would be more than sufficient for a nas.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

If I sold my 3700x and bought an IGPU would that suffice @Needfuldoer? I'm wanting to not have to use a dedicated GPU as I want the build to be as small as possible (I'm making the case myself) and I want it to be as power efficient as possible. Cheers

25 minutes ago, Luke30 said:

If I sold my 3700x and bought an IGPU would that suffice @Needfuldoer? I'm wanting to not have to use a dedicated GPU as I want the build to be as small as possible (I'm making the case myself) and I want it to be as power efficient as possible. Cheers

doing a quick google search for the above recommended 3200G says, yes you'll most likely be fine. this reddit thread was the top result

plus, going this route means you always have the option of adding a dedicated GPU later on if you feel the need/want.

edit: given that the R3 model would suffice, the R5 & R7 variants of the G should be even better. all depends on what price range works best for you and if you want any overhead.

2 hours ago, Brando212 said:

doing a quick google search for the above recommended 3200G says, yes you'll most likely be fine. this reddit thread was the top result

Actually this can do transcoding on the igpu too.