Android OS

Go to solution Solved by Nayr438,
29 minutes ago, windozedev said:

You could try CyanogenMod.

CyanogenMod died in 2016... It's long been replaced by LineageOS

16 minutes ago, VibinYo said:

will check it out thanks for the tip

See Above. LineageOS dropped support for the Tab 2, probably due to the device specs as mentioned previously.

21 minutes ago, VibinYo said:

ill definetely check it out 🙂 sadly its the tab 2 old ancient relic 

The roms on XDA are community maintained and based on older versions of Android, ver. 8 (Oreo) is about as new as your going to get and the Roms available have various issues listed. The same security concerns apply here.

You are free to do what you want, but I would consider the security risks heavily before handing it off to someone to potentially manage their bank accounts or any other personal data.

If it was the Tab S2 as mentioned previously it would be a whole different story.

Hello this might be wrong place to ask but here goes
i have a old samsung galaxy tab 2  and my old man wanted to use it for just checking the bank and reading news but i cant access websites with it. it connects to internet and everything is fine but i suspect the OS is too old and i was wondering if there is any way to force it to update to a newer OS that works or load on a light version of a new one so i can access websites. sorry if stupid question ❤️

That thing is pretty much e-waste.

It's 1G of ram won't satisfy the requirements of any newer builds of Android, and If you do find a newer third party build it will likely be a unpleasant experience.
Running such an old version of Android is also a security risk, I wouldn't have it connected to the local network or access any banking or personal information with it.

1 minute ago, Nayr438 said:

That thing is pretty much e-waste.

It's 1G of ram won't satisfy the requirements of any newer builds of Android, and If you do find a newer third party build it will likely be a unpleasant experience.
Running such an old version of Android is also a security risk, I wouldn't have it connected to the local network or access any banking or personal information with it.

Bummer thanks for the reply and info tho 😄

Just now, VibinYo said:

Bummer thanks for the reply and info tho 😄

Tab 2 probably not. Tab S2 yes. You can double check, but I don't believe there was much support for the Tab 2. The Tab S2 is still receiving updates thanks to the community.  Search XDA and see if anything is available.

18 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Tab 2 probably not. Tab S2 yes. You can double check, but I don't believe there was much support for the Tab 2. The Tab S2 is still receiving updates thanks to the community.  Search XDA and see if anything is available.

10 minutes ago, windozedev said:

29 minutes ago, windozedev said:

16 minutes ago, VibinYo said:

See Above. LineageOS dropped support for the Tab 2, probably due to the device specs as mentioned previously.

21 minutes ago, VibinYo said:

The roms on XDA are community maintained and based on older versions of Android, ver. 8 (Oreo) is about as new as your going to get and the Roms available have various issues listed. The same security concerns apply here.

You are free to do what you want, but I would consider the security risks heavily before handing it off to someone to potentially manage their bank accounts or any other personal data.

If it was the Tab S2 as mentioned previously it would be a whole different story.

Kinda silly question, but have you checked to make sure the time on the device is correct? I know sometimes my older gear will lose track of time and you need to be in the ballpark of correct time to get internet to work

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

33 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

The roms on XDA are community maintained and based on older versions.

CyanogenMod/LineageOS dropped support for the Tab 2 at v13. You might want to consider joining XDA and contribute to the development community.

9 hours ago, OddOod said:

Kinda silly question, but have you checked to make sure the time on the device is correct? I know sometimes my older gear will lose track of time and you need to be in the ballpark of correct time to get internet to work

yea it was set to the correct time and date 🙂

33 minutes ago, VibinYo said:

yea it was set to the correct time and date 🙂

Thanks. I knew it was a n extreme long shot

Honestly I'd give a hard rec for a last gen Fire 10 tablet. They regularly go on sale for 70$ and you can use FireToolbox to remove most to all of the Amazon garbage. They become great little single purpose devices. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup