Robocop ED-209 Version 2 - by RandomDesign

RandomDesign

As always, plans can change rather quickly.
Although, I was going to build the Behemoth project for computex, I need to push this one back to some point later this year.
I did already a lot of 3D work for that, but the concept just changed.

Luckily, I had another project that I wanted to build this year. A second version of my ED-209 from Robocop.
First one was raffled away, so I desperatly need one for my own 馃槃

So I will build a ED-209 V2 for the G.Skill booth at computex.

While working on my first version, I already had the idea to build a second one. Thats why I made a lot of molds
that can be used again now.

47357508fk.jpg

With all the small changes I want to make, I can still reuse like 90% of the molds.
For the rest, I will make new ones.

For the most part, I just want to change some details for my version 2.

There will be an LED effect inside the barrales with some smoke. I am also planning to add some light effects
to some sections of the head part.

I am inserting another part between the leg and head part, to make the entire construction a little taller. The head itself
should also be able to rotate.

In the original, the legs have some kond of threaded rod in the back that rotates. I will try to replicate that.
Just to make the entire construction a little more interesting.

I will also change some of the materials used. I am going from Smooth Cast 305 to Task 2 for all the urethan cast pieces.
This resin has better physical properties. So its basically thougher and more ridig.

Here is again a small rendering of the possible outcome.

47361782gl.jpg

I am going to stream most of the creation process on my twitch channel.
So if you are interested to see how I build the stuff, I will be live on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Starting about 7/8 p.m. CEST https://www.twitch.tv/randomdesign

First mold I could reuse was directly for the feet parts.

47387504ur.jpg

Wanted to cast them hollow, so I used Smooth Cast Onyx fast, mixed my first batch and poured it into the mold.
THen I started rotating it for about 4-5 minutes. To get the wall thickness I needed, I redid this procedure 5 times.

47387505te.jpg

Here is a cut open test piece I made to check the wall thickness.

47387566sl.jpg

I filled the cavity on the inside with some two part expanding foam, Foam-It 5.

47387506bq.jpg

And just like that, the first parts were done already.

47387507ly.jpg

The mid section of the foot is printed in PLA. I already included all the holes necessary to bolt it onto a
surface later. Also All holes are included to attach all of the other parts of the leg.

47387508gv.jpg

47387509jp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Next up was the inner construction of the leg.
Everything is printed in PLA, I already included the holes for the 2x2cm aluminum profile as well as the threaded 6mm rod.
This will later hold the entire construction.

47452645wt.jpg

The lower part will be visible in certain parts later, so I sanded down the surface before gluing it together.

47452647jo.jpg

47452648ez.jpg

Thze leg cover was printed in multiple parts. That way it was easier to post process most of the surfaces before assembly.

47452649sz.jpg

Used some 120 grid sandpaper and gave all the parts a quick sanding before the attatching them.

47452650ue.jpg

Then I made already a first test to see if the leg and feet parts are fitting together. Now I just need to close some small gaps
and the parts are ready for another round of sanding and the spray filler.

47452653bg.jpg