PBO and temperature anomolies

Go to solution Solved by freeagent,
1 hour ago, Cramig88 said:

is messing with the PBO even practical considering 4.9ghz runs fine?

The CPU responds well to additional power limits through PBO in conjunction with the curve.

This is my 5900X. It is a  little more than the 105w on the box..

tune.thumb.png.d1db4c0bbe5fc06d611fa51652121f4b.png

hi all,

pretty familiar with overclocking at this point.  had everything running solid with my 5900x on a crosshair viii x570 till i went into bios and tinkered with the pbo scalar.
initially i was averaging 4.9ghz consistantly, eh around 80watts.  of course not all cores going, most were sleeping.  whatever, pc ran fine and temps were always at or below 80c under load

back to the pbo scalar.  so i went into that on bios, hit enable for virtually everything, set my temp max/cpu to 90.  then did the "auto" scalar settings to positive and 1.

reboot into windows, oh i also set the multiplyer (i normally wouldnt do it this way but fresh\new bios, whatever) to 43.00

anyway noticed under load id fluctuate from 110w to 209w and back down.  it would go all over the place along with my cpu temps, obviously.  having taskman open i did notice all 12 cores were at the same clock speed, sweet!  although with temps hitting 90 and up, uhm, shouldnt my pc "blow up", as in immediately shut off?

did a restart, this time did a negative scalar and again, 1 instead of zero.  doing '-1' wasnt an option, presuming the '-' character was invalid

same result!  why is this as i thought a neg scalar would decrease the wattage?  either settings were stable.  so i let it do some cpu mining as a stress test (nicehash always "blows up" my pc if unstable during a bench).  i think it got to 110 degrees max according to the phone app.  obviously not ideal but i let it run for idk 6 hours, figured things would balance out since i have so much radiator surface area and a custom block for the mobo/cpu/vrm's etc etc.

-why didnt my pc blow up considering my max temp is set at 85? normally if the voltage spikes suddenly (as would temp) say 60c to 94c and back to idk 70c BLOOP pc shuts off

-why was so much voltage being pushed to the cpu, even without load?

-how the hell was it stable!

-any suggestions on how to fix the wacky wattage?

-is messing with the PBO even practical considering 4.9ghz runs fine?

-really any suggestions at all lol

thanks peeps!

1 hour ago, Cramig88 said:

is messing with the PBO even practical considering 4.9ghz runs fine?

The CPU responds well to additional power limits through PBO in conjunction with the curve.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

wow, ive spent months asking for data like this.  i have a 5900x as well, very helpful!  How could you tell which cores are the fastest?  Suppose repeated stress testing 12x over or more could answer that one, just wondering if theirs an easier way
THANK YOU!!!!

I test both single core speed and heavy multicore 🤘

Cinebench?  Aida64? (Prime95? I get them mixed up) or otherwise?

Some that I use are SuperPi 32M, Linpack Xtreme, OOCT and some others. I literally beat the piss out of it. She loves it. Right now I have my X3D installed. It is a pretty boring CPU, but it sips power and it barely makes my fans turn.

And down the rabbit hole I go!  Between cinebench r23, aida(prime?) and Nicehash I’m sitting comfortable at 76c, 53w (1.186v avg) on all cores. Nearly doubled my hash rate by messing with the ccx0/1 ratios. 100% load, 4.3ghz - no crashing!

now I see why HWinfo is so useful!!  Not to mention a pen and paper haha, turns out ccx1 has the most preferred cores

so now I’m curious…

-why bother with PBO at all?

-what’s the core multiplier do in relation to the same function on ccx0 and 1?  It seems if I set ccx0 to 44 and 1 to 46 it crashes

I imagine I can pull off 4.9-5 if I get the wattage and voltage right. The ccx0/1’s need to match?

it’s all coming together buddy!  Whoop!!!