Help with picking AIO

Paul17
17 hours ago, freeagent said:

I have the Aqua Elite 360 V3, same unit, different fans. It is pretty decent. It does react well to stronger fans, though they are not needed. It can deal with 260w though my 7nm 5900X. You should be ok. It is stronger than my Thermalright air coolers.. I have a few.

So, it's worth getting, then???  - I was just noticing that Thermalright has so many AIOs - why do they need so many plus all the names!   Jeez!

I kind of don't like that - they seem pretty similar but different fans?   Are the pumps the same?

The one I found was cheaper than the Aqua Elite and Notte, too - I think....  The reason I was looking at this one is that I am also saving up for a gpu upgrade, too - so, I don't want to pick the **cheapest** AIO available - but, prefer it to be under $200 - if possible - and at the same time, I want something pretty darn quiet - so whether it's a quiet pump and fans - I want it to be relatively quiet and if the fans aren't quiet enough - I am willing to upgrade the fans but prefer not to do that added cost.   I might as well just buy the Arctic in that case.

But, if it's a difference of a few decibels - that I wouldn't notice....

The other plan is that I would like get an AIO sooner rather than later - I did the washer mod to my 12700k but I bought a contact frame but waiting to do that change still!!!  - I was hoping I'd get an AIO and gpu upgrade around the same time so I could do the 'transformation' all with the same upgrade(s).  🙂  

17 hours ago, freeagent said:

I have the Aqua Elite 360 V3, same unit, different fans. It is pretty decent. It does react well to stronger fans, though they are not needed. It can deal with 260w though my 7nm 5900X. You should be ok. It is stronger than my Thermalright air coolers.. I have a few.

Just this second, this cooler is suddenly at $68 CAD - that's a pretty good deal and cheaper than the Edge I was looking at.   Should I get this, guys? 🙂  Freeagent, would you buy yours again?   

3 hours ago, Paul17 said:

Just this second, this cooler is suddenly at $68 CAD - that's a pretty good deal and cheaper than the Edge I was looking at.   Should I get this, guys? 🙂  Freeagent, would you buy yours again?   

I would go for the Magic or Notte, personally, as its pump and fans are quiet and the high speed pump provides a definitely high level of performance. I didn't expect it to make such a difference, but I'm sure glad I chose it instead of one of the lesser pumps.

Stay away from Sama and Draecena, and probably Gamdias and Raidmax, unless they're highly rated on the cooler list here.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

It’s a good cooler. I looked at which ones were released most recently. I passed on the notte because I just didn’t like the way it looked 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

22 minutes ago, freeagent said:

It’s a good cooler. I looked at which ones were released most recently. I passed on the notte because I just didn’t like the way it looked 😄

What about the Magic Scenic V2?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

5 hours ago, RevGAM said:

What about the Magic Scenic V2?

Honestly, I would pass on the ones with the round pump.. not sure why.. could be because the newer ones are square.

51 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Honestly, I would pass on the ones with the round pump.. not sure why.. could be because the newer ones are square.

Um,...I find that quite baffling. But, hey, that's ok! Get what you like, right?!

55 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Um,...I find that quite baffling. But, hey, that's ok! Get what you like, right?!

It isn't though, the square blocks are newer, and newer is always better right? 😄

11 hours ago, freeagent said:

It isn't though, the square blocks are newer, and newer is always better right? 😄

I'm pretty sure you're joking...Right?

19 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I'm pretty sure you're joking...Right?

Not really.. Thermalright has been putting out AIOs for a few years now. They had many listings, so I looked at the newest, and that is what I bought..

33 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Not really.. Thermalright has been putting out AIOs for a few years now. They had many listings, so I looked at the newest, and that is what I bought..

Honestly, I can't tell which one is the newest AIO series. Yours actually has 8 sides with those cut corners, then there's the Warframe, Notte, Magic Scenic V2, Edge, Matrix, Vision and Guardian, and that's the first of 3 pages. 🤔 I really doubt that the outer shell has anything whatsoever to do with performance. I don't know what their pump housing looks like inside, but at least part of it is going to be round/cylindrical. Do they use double or triple-chambering?

12 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I really doubt that the outer shell has anything whatsoever to do with performance. I don't know what their pump housing looks like inside

Well, your pump revs to 5500? Mine revs to 3500, that would indicate a significant change to me.

18 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Well, your pump revs to 5500? Mine revs to 3500, that would indicate a significant change to me.

5,300, yes. Some of the 5 on sale cheaply over Black Friday were slower:

image.png.7c62cfde94db5b33f4bf1a90a521c9

Ms. Traynor is all about the bass, and I'm all about the performance. 😉

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

What type of change?  

I think block shape is irrelevant unless it's a barebones design like a pond pump. 

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I think block shape is irrelevant unless it's a barebones design like a pond pump. 

I would have to disagree with you there. Just looking at it tells you its different. The height is all different, all other dimensions are different, pump speed is different.. everything is different.

Something has to be different 😄

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

I would have to disagree with you there. Just looking at it tells you its different. The height is all different, all other dimensions are different, pump speed is different.. everything is different.

Something has to be different 😄

Sure, that's a fair point, but it could be that they decided to make the cover larger to accommodate lighting or give a different appearance, or it could be because there's a different pump. It could be a good difference or a bad one. There's just no way to know without testing.

On 3/26/2024 at 9:25 AM, RevGAM said:

5,300, yes. Some of the 5 on sale cheaply over Black Friday were slower:

image.png.7c62cfde94db5b33f4bf1a90a521c9

Ms. Traynor is all about the bass, and I'm all about the performance. 😉

Which AIO out of those - prices are relatively similar - no more than $30 difference?    In CAD (Cdn market). 

2 hours ago, Paul17 said:

Which AIO out of those - prices are relatively similar - no more than $30 difference?    In CAD (Cdn market). 

Frozen edge. You get a pump like mine and good fans. The fans that came with mine are ok, but yours are better. I am using similar fans to the ones that come with that one.

4 hours ago, Paul17 said:

I would need @freeagentto do a little test for me. 

If you're willing, bro, put the strongest SP+AF fans you've got on your AIO and run that TR pump at max flow. How do the benchmarks compare between the stock fans and the powerful ones? If they're within a couple of degrees, then it doesn't much matter. That's what happened when I put Super Flower Megacools on my Notte, so the difference wasn't worth the extra expense. If there's a larger gap, I suggest the Magic Scenic V2, as other testers have declared it to be better than the Notte. 

5 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I would need @freeagentto do a little test for me. 

If you're willing, bro, put the strongest SP+AF fans you've got on your AIO and run that TR pump at max flow. How do the benchmarks compare between the stock fans and the powerful ones? If they're within a couple of degrees, then it doesn't much matter. That's what happened when I put Super Flower Megacools on my Notte, so the difference wasn't worth the extra expense. If there's a larger gap, I suggest the Magic Scenic V2, as other testers have declared it to be better than the Notte. 

I cannot my man. I should have gotten the bigger Torrent. My strongest fans are 120x38s. I only have enough room to run 25mm fans unfortunately. The fans that I am running are only like 30cfm stronger than what come with it. So 3 fans are sufficient for the CPU, having the extra two hanging off the back help get some more air into the upper case to help cool the ram, and the top of the GPU.

23 hours ago, freeagent said:

I cannot my man. I should have gotten the bigger Torrent. My strongest fans are 120x38s. I only have enough room to run 25mm fans unfortunately. The fans that I am running are only like 30cfm stronger than what come with it. So 3 fans are sufficient for the CPU, having the extra two hanging off the back help get some more air into the upper case to help cool the ram, and the top of the GPU.

😞  You could have the rad external to the case, couldn't you? I'm not looking for exact numbers, just to see if there's a significant improvement with your strongest fans.

10 hours ago, RevGAM said:

😞  You could have the rad external to the case, couldn't you? I'm not looking for exact numbers, just to see if there's a significant improvement with your strongest fans.

I will use my H100 and 120x38s then 😄

5-7c difference.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, there is nothing about my setup that is easy lol, the tight confines of the case means that everything has to come out to get the rad out.

I can say that in a world of Ryzen users who say they run hot, I am the one that says your cooler sucks 🙂

11 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I will use my H100 and 120x38s then 😄

5-7c difference.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, there is nothing about my setup that is easy lol, the tight confines of the case means that everything has to come out to get the rad out.

I can say that in a world of Ryzen users who say they run hot, I am the one that says your cooler sucks 🙂

LOL! 🤣

Hey, it's ok. I was just hoping to be able to give a quantitatively based answer to the OP.

In the absence of that data, all I can say is this, @Paul17:

In my clearly not-expert understanding of the effect of pump speed on AIO performance, based solely on having tested the TR Frozen Notte 360 with the stock fans and the Super Flowers and noticing almost no difference in temperature, I suspect this is due to the pump being very powerful. I suspect that a pump that runs at a lower max speed, such as the ones you and @freeagentare talking about, would benefit from the extra expense of swapping out the fans for better ones, but not on high-RPM pump systems like the Notte and Magic Scenic V2.

2 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

LOL! 🤣

Hey, it's ok. I was just hoping to be able to give a quantitatively based answer to the OP.

In the absence of that data, all I can say is this, @Paul17:

In my clearly not-expert understanding of the effect of pump speed on AIO performance, based solely on having tested the TR Frozen Notte 360 with the stock fans and the Super Flowers and noticing almost no difference in temperature, I suspect this is due to the pump being very powerful. I suspect that a pump that runs at a lower max speed, such as the ones you and @freeagentare talking about, would benefit from the extra expense of swapping out the fans for better ones, but not on high-RPM pump systems like the Notte and Magic Scenic V2.

The fans that come with his AIO are better than the ones that came with mine. You and your pump speeds lol.. there is a definite change between the round and not so round pumps lol, why this is such a sticking point for you.. I don't know.

You could answer his question too, you have strong fans, an AIO, you are good to go my man 🙂