Transferring my operating system

I have a small 500gb SSD as my main storage for my operating system and programs but it's starting to get full with programs and updates. I would like to get a larger storage device and maybe go to a m.2 drive and transfer my OS to it. Anyone ever done this and do they know how to as it would be good to be able to upgrade space and still use my SSD as a game storage device. 

3 hours ago, lizziemc12 said:

I have a small 500gb SSD as my main storage for my operating system and programs but it's starting to get full with programs and updates. I would like to get a larger storage device and maybe go to a m.2 drive and transfer my OS to it. Anyone ever done this and do they know how to as it would be good to be able to upgrade space and still use my SSD as a game storage device. 

Use a cloning software like Macrium Reflect or EaseUS Todo Backup to clone your current SSD to the new M.2 SSD. Ensure you clone all partitions, including the hidden system partitions, for a successful boot. Once you've verified that your system is booting and running properly from the new SSD, you can format the old SSD to use it as a game storage device. To do this, open Disk Management (press Windows + X, then select Disk Management), right-click on the old SSD partitions, and select "Delete Volume." Then, create a new simple volume using the entire capacity of the SSD. And Boomm your all setbuddy.

Windows supports cloning drives natively (xcopy), but not partitions without drive letters. You need the hidden partitions on your drive for Windows to boot, so you will have to use an external software. I used the Samsung drive copy software last time I did it to move from a 970 evo to 990 pro, but I don't know how exclusive that is or if there is better software available. I lean towards using what Blazepoit5 recommended, as I've heard good things about them elseware.