OpenInterpreter '01 Light' - open-source, language model, voice interface for home computers

whalemonster

Summary

OpenInterpreter just announced a portable, open source, language model-powered voice interface for home computers. Like OpenInterpreter in a terminal on PC, the 01 can be run either via OI's servers, or 100% locally using a downloaded LLM and local host ❤️ (as OpenInterpreter does currently). The 01 developer preview is live on GitHub.

Quotes

"The 01 Light is a portable voice interface that controls your home computer. It can see your screen, use your apps, and learn new skills."

My thoughts

This is one of the more exciting bits of AI news I've seen in a while. I love the open source ethos, and I believe it can offset some of the more worrying potentials of allowing corporate profiteering to be the primary driver of this endeavour. I've already been playing with a local instance of OpenInterpreter in a Windows terminal using local inference, testing it out as a code building tool and general helper. It's slightly fiddly, tech nerdy stuff, which is fine for me, but would never reach mass uptake in its current form. The 01 is super exciting, not only cos it's like having your own personal Majel Barrett Enterprise computer interface, but because it could break through that fiddly tech nerdy barrier and make a genuinely useful open source tool which everyone needs - the natural language computer interface - accessible for huge numbers of home computer users.

Sources

https://www.openinterpreter.com/01

https://github.com/OpenInterpreter/01

https://twitter.com/OpenInterpreter/status/1770821439458840846

OI 01.jpg

Would be pretty cool if fully local Ai alternative was bolted into Linux distros to go against Microsoft and their Ai stuff that runs in the cloud and most aren't happy about because of cloud part.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Would be pretty cool if fully local Ai alternative was bolted into Linux distros to go against Microsoft and their Ai stuff that runs in the cloud and most aren't happy about because of cloud part.

Won't happen because of the dubious nature of the LLM's training data, and existing copyright structure can't be enforced. EG you can't GPL or BSD license a LLM because the training data can't be examined to contain only PD and other BSD/CC0 works.

Like it does feel like the regulation hammer that is going to come down, probably going to be on the side of fair use where a LLM/Generative AI can use anything as input as long as it can't reproduce the training input in whole, and does not destroy the value for the original work (eg you can't make a "studio ghibli" animation AI if you're not Studio Ghibli.)

14 hours ago, Kisai said:

Won't happen because of the dubious nature of the LLM's training data, and existing copyright structure can't be enforced. EG you can't GPL or BSD license a LLM because the training data can't be examined to contain only PD and other BSD/CC0 works.

Like it does feel like the regulation hammer that is going to come down, probably going to be on the side of fair use where a LLM/Generative AI can use anything as input as long as it can't reproduce the training input in whole, and does not destroy the value for the original work (eg you can't make a "studio ghibli" animation AI if you're not Studio Ghibli.)

The fact that all these "Ai" companies trained shit they are selling on everyone's work in the entire existence of it is highly problematic. Like, I love to make stuff and hand it over to people for free to use, but I absolutely don't want mega corporations make even more wealth by using my designs or creations. And that's exactly what these Ai companies are doing. Their LLM's are worthless without the data they trained them on. So this whole Ai stuff will just crumble down if anyone goes on and regulates it and yeah, it won't be usable on any such level anymore.