Secondary display issue

EdOrange

Hi all,

I'm having one of those lovely intermittent issues with my second monitor.

It uses to be my primary monitor say 1 year ago, then I was gifted an nice MSI (Optix MPG27C) curved monitor. The old monitor is an ASUS something. I cannot find the model but it's a 2011 21". 

The older monitor has a DVI and VGA input. I had no issues with it until recently. A little while ago I changed my GPU from a GTX960 2GB to a 1660 Super which has only HDMI and DP. I have a HDMI to DVI adapter plugged into the monitor in question. My main display is DP.

The ASUS monitor will just randomly power off. I have checked the cord, i replaced the power strip as i was worried that could be an issue the last time it happened. I've had no issues until now. After a jiggle it came back on, then died. The PC still sends a display to the monitor but it is just powered off and the PC doesn't change the windows like it normally would. Is it likely that my monitor is just dead?

I'm abit lost as to what to try next. It is only a second monitor so not the end of the world if it's dead.

Thanks for reading

If you play around with the buttons on the 2nd monitor, does the on-screen-display still work? If it doesn't, the monitor is dead.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Hi, 

I think you're right. As the power seems to die, I tried to switch it on and was unresponsive, so couldn't use the other buttons.

Thanks

Yeah had an old monitor a while ago I actually fixed with a recap at the time but it was very rarely just randomly turning off. Then sometimes wouldn't turn on from standby. Then ded.