Need help... for real.

I've been trying to solve this problem with the best I can but to no avail. I've spent a lot of time that it isn't even good.

I was using Debian and was setting up my install (for context, I am new to Linux but a fast learner). I found out that my CPU is not at it's full potential. I have an i5 10210U, whos Power Limit 1 (PL1) is 15 watts and PL2 is 31 watts. I noticed that any time I put on a full load, even when monitoring the first second, my CPU is locked at 15 watts. It doesn't go up.

I've tried a bunch of things to troubleshooting. I changed the CPU governer, the microcode updates, tried a bunch hell of tools for monitoring and tried to changing settings but those didn't work. Just to clear this out, my BIOS doesn't give much power controls but if it works on Windows, so should it on Linux. I also tried with Secure boot disabled (re-installed the OS) and SGX enabled/disabled (I am desperate). I tried reaching other forums but didn't have much success there (probably because lack of people). First I thought it was because I was on a barebones install, so I then thought to install Debian the normal way with the standard system utilities and Gnome (ugly but ok), but that didn't work either. Of course even then I tried to fiddle around with stuff. I then started to think that Debian might be the problem.

I then went on for installing Arch. After I somehow survived the installation process (no wonder Debian is easier), I set up my system, and I went on to the browser based stress test and monitoring through RAPL tools (other tools also work), but I was disappointed to see that I still has the same problem even on Arch.

One last thing I am going to try is a more higher level distro like Ubuntu or Manjaro (not that I really want to use them). If that doesn't work, I am done. What am I missing???

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

Outside of this stress test maybe just try using it? If your standard use case never needs the turboboost range not having it working is a non issue. Mint works perfectly fine for me without lag on a second gen i7.

Listens to WAN show while doing dishes. 😊 Living in 2024 with a tech attitude stuck in 2010.

34 minutes ago, WiscoMetro said:

Outside of this stress test maybe just try using it? If your standard use case never needs the turboboost range not having it working is a non issue. Mint works perfectly fine for me without lag on a second gen i7.

That's like buying an automatic sports car and not using the sports mode because normal speed just works. I need more helpful answers tbh.

Microsoft owns my soul.

49 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

If that doesn't work, I am done.

My previous tone was largely set by this, as "usable" linux > "perfect" windows 10 to me. Sorry that I have no other insightful assistance.

Listens to WAN show while doing dishes. 😊 Living in 2024 with a tech attitude stuck in 2010.

You forgot how linux works right?

If you install an os it doesn't mean it automatically install all nessencary drivers.

Like windows did almost all.

Most of overclocking program's is made in windows not in linux yet.

We are still under 10% linux users according steam. 

Same as gpu drivers you have to install packages and check if device is actually using correct drivers.

Install scripts does most work but not all of them including GUI installers.

Linux is not ready for actual use for general public yet.

If you research enough you will notice how far linux is and support is slowly rising.

Like proton battle eye and other and now dayz is playable with battle eye.

However don't give up yet there will be more peeps with same problem and theres probably github fixing that problem.

Its just not found yet it will eventually come up.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

https://github.com/horshack-dpreview/setPL

Try this and set PL1 and PL2 to 31w? Use at your own risk. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

If you wanna overclock your processor, you do it in the bios. If it is a laptop.... just leave it be. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

If you wanna overclock your processor, you do it in the bios. If it is a laptop.... just leave it be. 

It's not overclocking. It doesn't go into PL2, and that is not overclocking.

Microsoft owns my soul.

13 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

It's not overclocking. It doesn't go into PL2, and that is not overclocking.

what is your max turbo frequency? run a geekbench. compare this on linux vs that on windows. 

Download Geekbench 6

if result is within margin of errors then nothing to be worry about. in fact, you should be happy you get the same performance for lower power consumption. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

https://github.com/horshack-dpreview/setPL

Try this and set PL1 and PL2 to 31w? Use at your own risk. 

I actually had tried the same program before and it didn't work, but now I tried it again, and well I think it works but doesn't solve my issue. I am able change the power limits, but no matter what power limit I put, it will never exceed the 15 watts. Also, there is no "risk" involved. The deep firmware will not let anything bypass it.

Microsoft owns my soul.

A quick look at the script and associated doc's leads me to believe you are trying to perform the equivalent of "running nitrous through an engine because I can".

12 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

The deep firmware will not let anything bypass it.

What are the conditions you are creating to force the firmware to behave in such a way that it would "utilise the maximum amount of latitude regarding consumption available"?

Do you monitor any per-core frequency or power data?

You understand that a 10210U is 10th gen and not of the Alder Lake+ "permanent PL2" family?

You understand that pre-Alder Lake CPU's allow the use of the PL2 state (per-core) without reporting it?

Are you able to observe states PL3/4 being reached?

The distro (or OS) you use to test this is arbitrary, what's important is the kernel - if you've let someone else configure it then you have nothing to complain about, if you've configured and instructed it yourself (a Linux kernel) and the observed behaviour doesn't match the documentation then you should be filling bug reports with Intel, they wrote the driver after all.