Can I connect my Apple monitor to a Windows pc?

Hello 🙂

My dad gave me his old apple monitor, because the computer does’t work anymore, but the monitor does. It has the apple mini display port and I bought an adapter to USB-C, so that I could connect my Apple MacBook Pro with it. It all worked well 🙂 now I bought a windows PC which my boyfriend built for me. I don’t want to buy a new monitor since I already have the Apple one (and I’m honest - it fits my home aesthetic) 

So I was hoping I could connect my monitor to the PC! I bought an apple mini display port adapter to connect to my PC - but it didn’t work… 

Does anybody have a solution or is apple going to make me buy a new monitor? 🫶

Here are some photos of the Monitor (I know the cable is broken get of my back😅🫶) 

ed4d1c72-5737-4820-8f75-1840a7c0adb2.jpeg

0e8c500c-9aa0-4ffd-b664-e0384314fd35.jpeg

IMG_7456.jpeg

Ok, so it's an iMac. Not just a monitor. Make sure the iMac is in Monitor mode.

Replace the cable and adapter combo you are using with one that has a native HDMI or DP connection. So an HDMI or DisplayPort to Thunderbolt 1 or 2 cable. Don't use an adapter cable plus an adapter. That's a no no. Also, does the cable even still work? If it's broken that could be part of the issue.

Just also as an FYI depending on the specs of your new Windows PC and what you are planning to use the computer for using this old iMac as a monitor may not be the best option. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 | RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

15 minutes ago, lilithsijtje said:

So I was hoping I could connect my monitor to the PC! I bought an apple mini display port adapter to connect to my PC - but it didn’t work… 

The interface on the monitor is either Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2, while they both use the same connector as mini DisplayPort, they aren't quite the same (as DisplayPort).

From the bit of research I did, it seems that you'll need a DisplayPort to Thunderbolt 1 (or 2, depending on which one this monitor is actually using) adaptor.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

53 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Ok, so it's an iMac. Not just a monitor. Make sure the iMac is in Monitor mode.

Not an iMac, an Apple Thunderbolt Display: https://support.apple.com/th-th/112597. 

A USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter works on a Mac because Macs have full Thunderbolt 3 or 4 capabilities over USB-C, and Thunderbolt is backwards compatible with older versions of itself. AFAIK the Thunderbolt display does not use Mini DisplayPort, it is legitimately a Thunderbolt display, thus the name and requirement of a Thunderbolt-capable Mac. It won't work on a PC that's just using regular USB via USB-C, it might work with a PC that uses Thunderbolt 3 or 4, depending on their implementation. 

57 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

The interface on the monitor is either Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2, while they both use the same connector as mini DisplayPort, they aren't quite the same (as DisplayPort).

It's Mini DisplayPort. And Thunderbolt. At the same time. Same as how USB-C Macs are running Thunderbolt 3 or 4 over that USB-C connector. They support the full features of the USB-C standard on top of Thunderbolt spec. Thunderbolt 1 and 2 were similar, but Mini DisplayPort was the chosen connector standard. 

55 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

From the bit of research I did, it seems that you'll need a DisplayPort to Thunderbolt 1 (or 2, depending on which one this monitor is actually using) adaptor.

Those are usually a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter, I've used them the other way round (Mini DisplayPort -> DisplayPort) on my Thunderbolt 1/2 equipped Macs. If it uses DisplayPort over Thunderbolt for the display itself, then that may work. I'm not familiar with what all they have inside that monitor, it may insist on Thunderbolt to do anything at all. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, lilithsijtje said:

Hello 🙂

My dad gave me his old apple monitor, because the computer does’t work anymore, but the monitor does. It has the apple mini display port and I bought an adapter to USB-C, so that I could connect my Apple MacBook Pro with it. It all worked well 🙂 now I bought a windows PC which my boyfriend built for me. I don’t want to buy a new monitor since I already have the Apple one (and I’m honest - it fits my home aesthetic) 

Does anybody have a solution or is apple going to make me buy a new monitor? 🫶

Here are some photos of the Monitor (I know the cable is broken get of my back😅🫶) 

ed4d1c72-5737-4820-8f75-1840a7c0adb2.jpeg

0e8c500c-9aa0-4ffd-b664-e0384314fd35.jpeg

IMG_7456.jpeg

Those Mac displays get complicated, that appears to be a Thunderbolt 2 version. I have a Mini-DP one at work collecting dust since thunderbolt 2 adapters don't work on it and I don't have a female mini-DP to DP/HDMI adapter.

You might struggle to get it working without adding thunderbolt 3 to your machine which isn't easy. Only some motherboards support that but if your CPU is intel based, you might have a thunderbolt 3 port.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017