plex stuttering issue

So i got my plex server all up and working but my laptop is having problems with playback over the internet and direct play.
so the problem i have is my laptop using chrome or the plex app will stutter and freeze sometimes for about a second every now and again i thought it was an issue with my server and direct play as i have only just gotten into plex and what not but when i tried to stream something from my friends plex server i have the same problem and he has had his server for years and works fine for other devices so its an issue with my laptops playback but i dont really know were to go looking to fix it

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

Just to clarify, do you experience the same problems with stuttering whether you use Plex via browser and the Plex app for Windows?
Or does it work better with one of them compared to the other?

Do you use Subtitles? If yes some types of Subtiles cause the Server to Jump off Qiucksync as they need to Burn the Text into the Image.

On 3/18/2024 at 12:14 PM, Mr.Zixxel said:

Just to clarify, do you experience the same problems with stuttering whether you use Plex via browser and the Plex app for Windows?
Or does it work better with one of them compared to the other?

problem is about the same on both

On 3/18/2024 at 2:32 PM, Benjamin2 said:

Do you use Subtitles? If yes some types of Subtiles cause the Server to Jump off Qiucksync as they need to Burn the Text into the Image.

dont have subtiles

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

The Plex (non-HTPC) app is based on a Chrome backend, which, like the standalone Chrome, would attempt to transcode server-side. Plex HTPC, instead, is required to utilize GPU for flawless decoding.

The biggest questions are, what are the specs of your server and laptop? A dual-core, or even quad-core processor would pretty likely run into trouble in soft transcoding a 4K HEVC video, which has been replicated on my Plex server, based on Pentium G4600, without Plex Pass.🫠

31 minutes ago, Bersella AI said:

The Plex (non-HTPC) app is based on a Chrome backend, which, like the standalone Chrome, would attempt to transcode server-side. Plex HTPC, instead, is required to utilize GPU for flawless decoding.

The biggest questions are, what are the specs of your server and laptop? A dual-core, or even quad-core processor would pretty likely run into trouble in soft transcoding a 4K HEVC video, which has been replicated on my Plex server, based on Pentium G4600, without Plex Pass.🫠

5800x with a 3080ti server and laptop is a 10900hk with a 150w 3080 in (Alienware r5 17") its not a hardware issue there linked on a 1gb network but it have the problem with direct play and over the internet 

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

14 minutes ago, CatXice said:

5800x with a 3080ti server and laptop is a 10900hk with a 150w 3080 in (Alienware r5 17") its not a hardware issue there linked on a 1gb network but it have the problem with direct play and over the internet 

Oh nice builds... Then check out network issues with public or local Speedtest services, or iPerf3. I also got some stuttering from remote playback with Jellyfin, even with 10Mbps of bitrates transferred from home with up to 50Mbps of upstream bandwidth.🫠

1 hour ago, Bersella AI said:

Oh nice builds... Then check out network issues with public or local Speedtest services, or iPerf3. I also got some stuttering from remote playback with Jellyfin, even with 10Mbps of bitrates transferred from home with up to 50Mbps of upstream bandwidth.🫠

even direct play on my home network has problems tho and thats got a 1gb link tested using my fiends server at 12mpbs and it was the same so its a playback issue with the laptop as it works fine on my phone

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

15 minutes ago, CatXice said:

even direct play on my home network has problems tho and thats got a 1gb link tested using my fiends server at 12mpbs and it was the same so its a playback issue with the laptop as it works fine on my phone

Then it can be assumed some hardware issues appear on the laptop. Let's make more checks:

• First, check out how fast data can be transferred to the Internet using public Speedtest services.
  • Second, check out how fast data can be transferred from the local server using iPerf3 or a self-hosted Speedtest service.
  • Lastly, check out temperatures & frequencies of the processor in load on the laptop. A clean-up may be required to retrieve its performance.