Setting Windows 11 ready in VM, full disk backup, and restore to actual hardware, possible?

Maastonakki

I'm in situation with my current Windows 10 installation, that I kind of should do the OS re-install. Trouble is that there's so much all kind of development related applications, configurations and so on, that I wouldn't like to just go and format everything, and then start to setup everything from scratch.

I'm planning to move on this re-install from Windows 10 to Windows 11. I was wondering, could it be possible to install Windows 11 to some example VMWare or VirtualBox virtual environment, setup everything up correctly while still using my existing setup, and after everything is setup, take full disk image of that VM, example with Acronis True Image (which I'm using daily to take backup of my system anyway) or equivalent, and then restore that backup to actual hardware SSD?

I'm running i9-9900K with Gigabyte Aorus Ultra MB, and I've confirmed that hardware does support Windows 11. But could there come some complications with how Windows installs drivers and others on VM, compared to actual hardware?

I would install Win11 to  a new drive. Then copy over what you need from the old drive.and format it for extra storage.