PC crashes to black screen and fans ramp to 100%

Jayspek
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
1 hour ago, Jayspek said:

Cable mod direct attach cables (I'm not using the 12VHPWR adapter that came with the card)

I would have checked first with using the original adapter cable first since that's what is used to test first. 

Using a PCIe riser? Try using just direct graphics card to motherboard PCIe slot. 

Also, the 4090 only draws slightly more power than the old card so it would be weird if it was a power draw issue.

What is the old graphics card? Use DDU to nuke the previous cards drivers to ensure a fresh install. 

Hello,

I recently bought a 4090 FE, and since I started using it I have had an intermittent crashing problem. The computer stops outputting to all displays (they pop up the no signal message), the lights on the GPU turn off, and all the fans ramp up to 100% (including the ones on the GPU).

If I'm playing a game, whatever sound effects where happening in game continue to play while in the crashed state, but no new ones start.

The only way to recover is to press and hold the power button or otherwise force it to power off.

This happens kind of randomly. Sometimes every hour or so, sometimes it will go for 6-10 hours in-between, for a while I could make it happen consistently by launching BG3 while playing a YouTube video, but then the next day that wouldn't cause it to crash any more. Sometimes it happens in games, sometimes while idle on the desktop, sometimes while doing light web browsing.

I was pretty sure it's not the power supply because I imagine that would shut off the whole system, and in this case its still playing sound. Also, the 4090 only draws slightly more power than the old card so it would be weird if it was a power draw issue.

I was also pretty sure it wasn't the motherboard, cpu, ram etc. because I put the old card back in for 2 weeks and it was perfectly stable.

Also should clarify at this point all of my testing has been done with stock clock speeds, power limits, etc. and I have the latest BIOS, firmware, drivers and Windows updates. I'm also using DDU in safe mode when swapping between the 4090 and the old card. All temperatures are within normal range (under load GPU at 50 with hot spot of 70, cpu at 75)

Windows event viewer doesn't have anything out of the ordinary logged other than the unexpected power loss from holding the power button.

I contacted NVIDIA and they agreed to RMA it. I received the new card today, installed it, and it still happens.

I don't really know where to go from here, because it seems like all the components work individually, just not together. Unless it's the 12VHPWR cable I'm using, or one individual connector on the power supply? Does my motherboard just not like 4090s? Specs below.

7800X3D

RTX 4090 FE

ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2

G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32

Corsair RM1000x

PCIe gen 4 NVME SSD

Cable mod direct attach cables (I'm not using the 12VHPWR adapter that came with the card)

I would have checked first with using the original adapter cable first since that's what is used to test first. 

Using a PCIe riser? Try using just direct graphics card to motherboard PCIe slot. 

Also, the 4090 only draws slightly more power than the old card so it would be weird if it was a power draw issue.

What is the old graphics card? Use DDU to nuke the previous cards drivers to ensure a fresh install. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I'll put in the original cables with the adapter and report back. No rizer, and I have been using DDU.

The old card is a 7900XTX (don't ask why I switched, it's a weird story)