Help with picking hardware

Go to solution Solved by Bersella AI,
On 3/15/2024 at 9:59 PM, Leo561 said:

do think this is the way to go drop the 8700 into new MB and case ?

Worth considering. All you need is to grab a Z390 board with plenty of M.2/PCIe slots, given all the others have been lying around. It also has adequate power for self-hosting game servers, besides Steam mirror.

Wanting to build a NAS server built one 10 years ago on a dual core pent CPU 4gig of ram but being 10 years later and older pcs laying around -wanting to use jellyfin, Steam server i have a few pc i could use, lenovo thinkcenter i3 7100, 8gig ram 256 ssd with a 1 tib -case too small to add others or ace pc intel cel j3455 4 gig of ram 64gig emmc with a 256 m.2 and 1 TIB ssd or i3 10100f msi b560 32gig ram 3 -2TIB hdd one 500gig NVME ,with more room for other 3 1/2 drives if i need to or HP 8700 MB hp 843b 16 gig ram 2TIB hdd empty m.2 ssd slot or 10700f asus prime z690m 48gig of ram  no hard drives but i can steal from the cases above... which should i use for my purpose but not over the top (IE) $1500 comp to play solitaire this is where i am having problems figuring out which system to use  

Lol, if you're LAZYCORE, you can actually rent a Steam server. I did it couple years back... gameservers.de. They give you a ready made dual Xeon pack of the X99 fla, rock and rolls all day once built. Cheap too, compared to housing and all the stuff you do at home, like paying the electricity, dusting off old fans, whatever.

2 hours ago, Motifator said:

Lol, if you're LAZYCORE, you can actually rent a Steam server. I did it couple years back... gameservers.de. They give you a ready made dual Xeon pack of the X99 fla, rock and rolls all day once built. Cheap too, compared to housing and all the stuff you do at home, like paying the electricity, dusting off old fans, whatever.

well that is one way to go not mine but i am sure it is someone's answer to this problem 

4 hours ago, Leo561 said:

wanting to use jellyfin, Steam server

Both Jellyfin and Steam mirroring (or LanCache) do not require massive power from processors. Jellyfin would play pretty well with an integrated GPU (which exists in Core i3-7100 & i7-8700), while Steam mirror/LanCache would prefer blazing fast storage & network. Unfortunately, however, neither the Lenovo Thinkcentre nor HP PC have much upgrading room (i.e. M.2/PCIe x4 slots) for M.2 SSDs & 10Gig NICs.

Also, be aware that Core i7-10700F is incompatible with Z690 boards, and does not have a GPU integrated. Even with Z490/Z590, this setup would be massive overkill in regard of performance, but would provide a couple M.2 & PCIe slots. It depends on you anyway.☺️

45 minutes ago, Bersella AI said:

Both Jellyfin and Steam mirroring (or LanCache) do not require massive power from processors. Jellyfin would play pretty well with an integrated GPU (which exists in Core i3-7100 & i7-8700), while Steam mirror/LanCache would prefer blazing fast storage & network. Unfortunately, however, neither the Lenovo Thinkcentre nor HP PC have much upgrading room (i.e. M.2/PCIe x4 slots) for M.2 SSDs & 10Gig NICs.

Also, be aware that Core i7-10700F is incompatible with Z690 boards, and does not have a GPU integrated. Even with Z490/Z590, this setup would be massive overkill in regard of performance, but would provide a couple M.2 & PCIe slots. It depends on you anyway.☺️

you are correct i hit the wrong key its the z590-my bad and yea i know the 11700f has no on board graphics i have a 4070 in it now -my HP does have a m.2 nvme slot but as you said it has its own proprietary Motherboard and Power supply-450wt with few add on pcie power cables i think it has one extra or two if i do not use the cd-rom in it which i am not and case but the processor can be taken out and put into a z390 board with new case,psu,-the cooler,ram can be carried over to the new/old system do think this is the way to go drop the 8700 into new MB and case ?

On 3/15/2024 at 9:59 PM, Leo561 said:

do think this is the way to go drop the 8700 into new MB and case ?

Worth considering. All you need is to grab a Z390 board with plenty of M.2/PCIe slots, given all the others have been lying around. It also has adequate power for self-hosting game servers, besides Steam mirror.