Rust FPS drops

SebastianD

Hello,

I have seen a few posts regarding rust lagging, however I haven't seen any quite like mine.  My fps drop really low very frequently as much as every few seconds and they will drop down and just completely freeze for a few seconds, it will also drop when moving or pulling out an item.  I have also noticed it takes longer to load whether its into the server or teleporting somewhere.   I was playing the game completely normal one day then all of a sudden the next day it started doing it.  It has also just happened to a friend recently on the game.  I had it downloaded on a laptop with 16GB RAM and it was running perfectly fine.  My computer is a desktop with 16GB or RAM as well.  When I play the game with task manager open I notice right as my FPS drop my HDD jumps to 100% usage.  I have Rust downloaded on my SSD.  I have done some research and some people have mentioned the HDD might be a paging file which it is according to task manager.  I have tried disabling it but it has no difference.  Some people have given some recommendations on what to change in steam for start up but they all have no effect.  I just thought it might be time to step up to 32GB RAM but I cannot understand why it happens to my desktop but not laptop? Any ideas?  

My Specs:

Ryzen 7 2700X

EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Hybrid OC

Asus Prime x570-p

Patriot Viper 16GB 3600mHz CL17 (running at 3200Mhz because I didn't look at the 2700X) 2 Sticks

Seagate 2TB HDD and WD black sn750 500GB

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Rust itself uses over 16GB of RAM if you have enough, with the settings etc. turned up. It will be pegging your SSD as it constantly swaps game info out of your SSD and back into RAM. I'm sure with 32GB you'd stop getting the lag, DDR4 is dead cheap now also, so not a big upgrade.

yea I was considering the upgrade but was confused why the game would run on a laptop with 16GB perfectly fine but not my desktop?

• 2 weeks later...

You're better off getting more ram, rust uses a lot of ram, specifically around 16+ gb of rum on average try getting 32 gb and also try getting an SSD, for rust you should have a fast storage component and I'm pretty sure rust is better optimized with SSD's, I could be wrong but still, for rust and even games in the long run, and SSD is a much better choice, I recommend a Samsung 980, don't worry about the pro or anything or if you want a cheaper choice go with a WD blue or black they are pretty solid make sure the upload is at least about 2k or 2.5k mbps. 

Gigabyte B560m DS3H AC | Intel i5 11400f | AMD RX 6500 XT 4gb | T-Force TUF 16gb (2x8) 3200 mhz

Samsung 27' CRG5 Freesync, 144hz | Lenovo 21.5' LI2264d, 75hz

Rust has issues with amd cpus

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper