File Explorer sometimes having delay

koopa990

This incident is where whenever I click on a folder or file to access them, the window locks up for a momentm, follow up one of my HDD sound spinning from my PC; then it works afterwards. what is the cause?

26 minutes ago, koopa990 said:

This incident is where whenever I click on a folder or file to access them, the window locks up for a momentm, follow up one of my HDD sound spinning from my PC; then it works afterwards. what is the cause?

are you accessing a drive that's not the boot drive?

If you are and especially if it's a hdd, like a mechanical hard drive, then it needs a bit of tome to wind up (start spinning) whenever you want to access it. had the same eerie experience when i installed my ssd. would open file explorer or download a file and hear the hdd start spinning. completely normal behaviour although the only thing locking up should be file explorer.

12 minutes ago, okkee said:

to pigyback off of this, hard drives have an idle time, after which they spin down to save wear and tear on the drive. If you access a drive after this time, it will have to spin back up, which i think is what youre hearing+experiecning delay from. This time is adjustable i think in your power settings in windows, but im not 100% sure.

15 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

This time is adjustable i think in your power settings in windows

control panel > hardware and sound > power options > edit plan settings > change advanced power settings > Hard Disk

It's not a bug. As the others have said, the HDD has gone into sleep mode and needs to spin back up again, which takes a few seconds. 

If you want to avoid this then you can adjust the sleep timer for your storage devices. It might result in more wear on your hard drive, but I kind of doubt it would be any significant amount in a typical PC. 

7 hours ago, okkee said:

are you accessing a drive that's not the boot drive?

If you are and especially if it's a hdd, like a mechanical hard drive, then it needs a bit of tome to wind up (start spinning) whenever you want to access it. had the same eerie experience when i installed my ssd. would open file explorer or download a file and hear the hdd start spinning. completely normal behaviour although the only thing locking up should be file explorer.

It does happen to SSD, yeah