HElp

Kentbox

Hi, I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong area, but I'm genuinely stumped with a new build.  I am using the Asus Z790A Gaming Wifi II motherboard with a new Core7 14700KF CPU.  Kingston Renegade Fury ram 2x16GB (in the correct slots).  With my luck I had a faulty PSU, (ASUS RoG STRIX 850W) that I replaced, so that problem is solved.  I originally started the system with my old video card, an Asus GTX 1060 6GB, and I get no video at all.  Thought maybe it was the old card, which works fine in my old system, but now that I have my new card, an Asus Dual RTX 3060 OC 12GB, it is still doing the same thing.  Flashed the BIOS using the button on the back since I do not have onboard video (doh), and still no go.  Reset the CMOS using the button on the back, removed the CMOS battery for 15 minutes, and still no luck.  Reseated memory.  Tried 1 stick.  Tried the other stick.  No bueno.  On startup, the red CPU light comes on and promptly goes off, followed by the DRAM light that goes off, then the VGA light comes on and goes off, then the green boot light stays on, obviously due to no OS.  Really stumped here.  I'm using a Hyte Y60 case, so maybe the riser cable?  

Should also mention, no beeps or anything during startup.  All the fans run, and power to the LC II 360 AIO liquid cooler, pump, etc.

Oh, I also carefully removed the CPU to have a look, and nothing looks cooked or damaged on the CPU or the motherboard.  I also assume the CPU light would be on if that was the case.

I guess my big question is, when is it time to throw in the towel and just R&R the mobo?

Thanks in advance.

If you suspect it to be the riser cable possible, have you tried booting with the GPU plugged directly into the motherboard? That would be a logical step in my eyes. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Sadly, the Hyte Y60 doesn't allow you to mount the card in the normal position.  In order to even test this, I'd have to pull the entire system apart and run it outside of the case.  Unless I hear of some other possible solutions, I will give that a shot. 

25 minutes ago, Kentbox said:

Sadly, the Hyte Y60 doesn't allow you to mount the card in the normal position.  In order to even test this, I'd have to pull the entire system apart and run it outside of the case.  Unless I hear of some other possible solutions, I will give that a shot. 

Take out riser cable, plug GPU in, hold it in place and level it using your hand or something sturdy enough, like lego or something.

Try turning it on.

Hopefully they atleast make it possible to slot in GPU horizontally for just a moment.

Sounds risky and troublesome, or the case doesn't even allow such thing at all? take out motherboard off pc case and do troubleshooting ontop of motherboard box.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I actually did that as well.  I unscrewed the riser cable from where it was mounted to the case and plugged it directly into the graphics card in case it just wasn't seating properly.  Still a no go.  

I will carefully remove the motherboard from the case tomorrow and plug it in directly.

🤞

So, I "breadboarded" the system and plugged the video card directly into the motherboard, and no video still, regardless of the riser cable.  Putting in a return on the motherboard since no error lights are coming on but the boot light.