Gpu choices

Hello, I currently have a 5700xt paired with an 11400f. I'm looking to upgrade the gpu and my current thoughts and options are 7700xt for 900nzd 7800xt for around 1050nzd or a second hand 3080 for 600. I know the person selling the second hand 3080 so theres no risk of it not working but it has been used to mine for around 18months, dont think it had been underclocked either.

As a secondary question how much do you think my current cpu will throttle these cards. Been trying to find an 11700/f but not having much luck either new or second hand.

Will be purely for gaming at 1440p.

50 minutes ago, Ginga_NZ said:

Hello, I currently have a 5700xt paired with an 11400f. I'm looking to upgrade the gpu and my current thoughts and options are 7700xt for 900nzd 7800xt for around 1050nzd or a second hand 3080 for 600. I know the person selling the second hand 3080 so theres no risk of it not working but it has been used to mine for around 18months, dont think it had been underclocked either.

Just for the gpu, I think 3080 should perform on par with 7700xt. So since you personally know the person and if money isn't the problem. You just want to save as much as you can, then your option is between a used 3080 and 7800xt. Now looking at a mined card, I doubt it wasn't undervolted. If your friend has a mining rig, he probably used hiveOS. But regardless he uses hive or just windows, depending on which coin, the app themselves should have optimized. What matters is that it was kept cool and vram not OCed to the highest point it can for that 18months. A well taken cared of mining card is probably healthier than a gaming gpu on hot case that's not well ventilated. But if ever, the one that you need to test on that 3080 is the fans. If it was been mined on for 18 months nonstop with only cleaning in between at 80% or higher fan speed. You might want to buy extra fans already, just in case those dies.

50 minutes ago, Ginga_NZ said:

As a secondary question how much do you think my current cpu will throttle these cards. Been trying to find an 11700/f but not having much luck either new or second hand.

Will be purely for gaming at 1440p.

At 1080p, it might by a little. But at 1440p it shouldn't. Just increase all graphics settings to put the stress on gpu instead of the cpu. 11700/f would probably have very little performance difference compared to how it would cost, even if it's $200 or less. The advise I could give is to upgrade your gpu now and in a year or two upgrade cpu/motherboard/ram, preferably AMD. Since if you need or want to upgrade again in another 3-5yrs after that you can just get the latest am5 cpu of that time, even if there's already a newer platform.

Thank you. Got to know those thoughts regarding the cpu. I ended up choosing that cpu because at the I had an amd 1600 and was almost certain there had been an issue with the board from the start as I never managed to get to ram speed above the stock speed. Replacing the mobo, ram (had tried to get ram checked out as it was corsair with life time warranty but the ************************ company gave me the wrong address. And had brought the cheapest 8gb kit to use while it was gone.) And the cpu was going to be about 350nzd cheaper than the amd option. Think it was just after 5000 series released and nz pricing is weird as heck in terms of discounting previous gen stuff. If I remember correctly it was going to cost more for the 3600 over a 5600.