Getting Started with soldering ?

Hey everyone,

I wanna get into soldering my dad has an old soldering iron in the basement and i think some people( including me) could use some motivation or ideas what to do when starting to solder so i am making this topic to help people starting to solder in the future. I am happy to read your suggestions

I got started by just assembling small DIY electronics kits and by making things out of scraps of solid-core wires.

Eventually I started with making my own circuits, though my knowledge about that is still very basic.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

5 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

I got started by just assembling small DIY electronics kits and by making things out of scraps of solid-core wires.

Eventually I started with making my own circuits, though my knowledge about that is still very basic.

hhm ive been looking at some retro gaming console kits on amazon, just to play tetris for fun but i kinda dont wanna mess up on that 

14 minutes ago, Jueyyy said:

my dad has an old soldering iron in the basement

depending on just how awful this relic is..  probably nothing too complicated.

you really want a decent iron to do anything more complicated than soldering some wires together.

Just now, manikyath said:

depending on just how awful this relic is..  probably nothing too complicated.

you really want a decent iron to do anything more complicated than soldering some wires together.

to be honest i havent gotten to look for the soldering iron cause he doesnt really know where it is knowing him tho it should be pretty decent and not too old

Just now, Jueyyy said:

to be honest i havent gotten to look for the soldering iron cause he doesnt really know where it is knowing him tho it should be pretty decent and not too old

is it a station, or is it an iron that plugs directly into the wall?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

is it a station, or is it an iron that plugs directly into the wall?

thats the thing i know nothing i just told him i wanted to learn and he said he still has his soldering Iron somewhere

8 minutes ago, Jueyyy said:

thats the thing i know nothing i just told him i wanted to learn and he said he still has his soldering Iron somewhere

okay, just a heads up then: if it doesnt have temperature control, it's not worth your effort.

Just now, manikyath said:

okay, just a heads up then: if it doesnt have temperature control, it's not worth your effort.

yea i kinda guessed

I asked a different group this question last year, this was the iron that was recommended. No real complaints:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGZFSNE

I like smart home and home theater tech.

My 5.1 setup consists of: Sony x90cj 75" TV, Yamaha RX-V4A Receiver, Apple TV 4k gen 2, SVS SB-1000 Pro Sub, KEF Q350 L/R, KEF Q250c Center, KEF Q150 rears.

My smart home is based around Home Assistant.

53 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

There is a digital version as well, that's pretty good kit.  M-1008K Same meter is also sold already assembled by the same company. I used this kit with my son. It was well done, the book explained the theory behind things, and had adjustments.

53 minutes ago, Jueyyy said:

hhm ive been looking at some retro gaming console kits on amazon, just to play tetris for fun but i kinda dont wanna mess up on that 

Many of the DIY kits they sell, are just through hole stuff. It's pretty hard to mess them up.  I would start on simple cheap stuff just get some practice. I've had my son do a bunch of the the electronic kits, I just pick up at random, games, robots, whatever looks like fun. Most are $10-20, sometimes even less.

Things like this. or This, clock.

I've also just seen kits that are just strictly practice and don't really have any functionality. I bought one of these a long time ago to practice surface mount soldering (obviously don't start with surface mount). It just had rows of components and chips to practice with on a board.

41 minutes ago, Jueyyy said:

yea i kinda guessed

As for temperature control, to be quite honest, I have a decent Weller adjustable soldering station, but 90% of the soldering and repair work here at the house I do with a regular non-adjustable unit. In fact even surface mount stuff, it's fine. There's just no reason for me to get a bunch of stuff out when I can just plug in something simple. I'm not saying the adjustable and soldering stations aren't nice and don't have advantages, just you can get by without something super fancy. No reason to complicate things right out of the gate.

3 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

There is a digital version as well, that's pretty good kit.  M-1008K Same meter is also sold already assembled by the same company. I used this kit with my son. It was well done, the book explained the theory behind things, and had adjustments.

Many of the DIY kits they sell, are just through hole stuff. It's pretty hard to mess them up.  I would start on simple cheap stuff just get some practice. I've had my son do a bunch of the the electronic kits, I just pick up at random, games, robots, whatever looks like fun. Most are $10-20, sometimes even less.

Things like this. or This, clock.

I've also just seen kits that are just strictly practice and don't really have any functionality. I bought one of these a long time ago to practice surface mount soldering (obviously don't start with surface mount). It just had rows of components and chips to practice with on a board.

As for temperature control, to be quite honest, I have a decent Weller adjustable soldering station, but 90% of the soldering and repair work here at the house I do with a regular non-adjustable unit. In fact even surface mount stuff, it's fine. There's just no reason for me to get a bunch of stuff out when I can just plug in something simple. I'm not saying the adjustable and soldering stations aren't nice and don't have advantages, just you can get by without something super fancy. No reason to complicate things right out of the gate.

I am definetly going to go digging around tomorrow but its pretty late allready

On 3/1/2024 at 9:39 PM, ender23 said:

I asked a different group this question last year, this was the iron that was recommended. No real complaints:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGZFSNE

At this pricepoint, get a Pinecil, TS101 or one of the others like it with the big tips. They are MUCH better than these cheap stations.

On 3/3/2024 at 3:35 AM, Heats with Nvidia said:

At this pricepoint, get a Pinecil, TS101 or one of the others like it with the big tips. They are MUCH better than these cheap stations.

Yeah, that's 100% fair.

I like smart home and home theater tech.

My 5.1 setup consists of: Sony x90cj 75" TV, Yamaha RX-V4A Receiver, Apple TV 4k gen 2, SVS SB-1000 Pro Sub, KEF Q350 L/R, KEF Q250c Center, KEF Q150 rears.

My smart home is based around Home Assistant.