Kubuntu vs Nobara KDE for gaming!

Howdy good sirs! I've been looking at some previous posts on this forum and narrowed my choice down to Kubuntu or Nobara KDE. I am running Intel Integrated Graphics on a laptop with i5 6th generation CPU. I cannot for the life of me decide between these two. What do you all think is the superior Distibution in terms of stability and performance? Please suggest one! I need a third person's outlook on this matter. Thank you in advance.

I'd go for the Ubuntu derivative. Distros with Debian heritage are generally easier to find guides and community support for.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

I'd go for the Ubuntu derivative. Distros with Debian heritage are generally easier to find guides and community support for.

Thanks a lot for your reply! I dont wanna come through as if i'm bragging but i've used linux systems in the past and can handle basic troubleshooting as well. I am really looking for a lightweight and stable system without any graphical anomalies or glitches. Can you suggest based on this information? If you feel like there is a better distribution out there, do give me a suggestion as well.

1 minute ago, mushroomed said:

I am really looking for a lightweight and stable system without any graphical anomalies or glitches

Seems counterintuitive to install KDE in that case. 😜 

Linux distros are all based around the same basic building blocks. Desktop environments differ in their system requirements and eye candy, but I'm skeptical there's that much difference between distros beyond that.

If you want a "lightweight" desktop environment that isn't as barebones as Fluxbox or as 1994 as JWM, try XFCE or MATE.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Seems counterintuitive to install KDE in that case. 😜 

Linux distros are all based around the same basic building blocks. Desktop environments differ in their system requirements and eye candy, but I'm skeptical there's that much difference between distros beyond that.

If you want a "lightweight" desktop environment that isn't as barebones as Fluxbox or as 1994 as JWM, try XFCE or MATE.

The reason I selected KDE is that it is based on Wayland ( or so I read ). I am on Integrated Graphics and they seem to run super well on it (it seems, according to various posts online). Can you please share your thoughts?

2 hours ago, mushroomed said:

The reason I selected KDE is that it is based on Wayland ( or so I read ). I am on Integrated Graphics and they seem to run super well on it (it seems, according to various posts online). Can you please share your thoughts?

KDE and GNOME both support Wayland.

If you go with KDE you can expect to probably run into quite a few bugs such as what you described. KDE Plasma focues more on features and quantity, targetting power users and those who want a ton of configuration options.

GNOME on the other hand aims for simplicity and being stable, its primary target is Enterprise.

Your iGPU is old enough that your experience should be similar across distros. If you want something that just works I'd probably go PopOS or KDE Neon, both are based on Ubuntu LTS and neither ship snaps which suffer from performance issues.

As far as gaming distros, a lot of the changes have a minimal impact on gaming and can often be problematic in other areas

Also you're going to likely be using Proton / Wine+dxvk+vkd3d, you should expect bugs and compatibility issues that likely won't be present on Windows.

7 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

KDE and GNOME both support Wayland.

If you go with KDE you can expect to probably run into quite a few bugs such as what you described. KDE Plasma focues more on features and quantity, targetting power users and those who want a ton of configuration options.

GNOME on the other hand aims for simplicity and being stable, its primary target is Enterprise.

Your iGPU is old enough that your experience should be similar across distros. If you want something that just works I'd probably go PopOS or KDE Neon, both are based on Ubuntu LTS and neither ship snaps which suffer from performance issues.

As far as gaming distros, a lot of the changes have a minimal impact on gaming and can often be problematic in other areas

Also you're going to likely be using Proton / Wine+dxvk+vkd3d, you should expect bugs and compatibility issues that likely won't be present on Windows.

Hiya! Basically you suggested that I pick up GNOME instead of KDE is that right? I did hear that GNOME is a bit resource hungry. Should I be worried? PopOS is based on Cosmic DE if i'm not mistaken so is that any good? Really appreciate your input

GNOME is slightly less resource hungry than KDE. As of right now PopOS just uses a tweaked version of GNOME, they will however be switching to their in development Desktop Environment called cosmic in the future. As far as it, no one will know until it sees an actual release.

As for what you should use, that's just going to come down to preference, every Desktop Environment and Distro has its pros and cons. As a KDE and GNOME user I can tell you that GNOME should be a more stable experience than KDE, but KDE is more feature rich and configurable.

17 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

GNOME is slightly less resource hungry than KDE. As of right now PopOS just uses a tweaked version of GNOME, they will however be switching to their in development Desktop Environment called cosmic in the future. As far as it, no one will know until it sees an actual release.

As for what you should use, that's just going to come down to preference, every Desktop Environment and Distro has its pros and cons. As a KDE and GNOME user I can tell you that GNOME should be a more stable experience than KDE, but KDE is more feature rich and configurable.

Great to know that you use both KDE and GNOME! I have a question. Have you tried gaming on both? According to you, which one performed better? Which distribution are you using?

I use Arch and neither DE should have a noticeable impact on gaming performance.

29 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I use Arch and neither DE should have a noticeable impact on gaming performance.

I did find a post on this forum mentioning Nobara linux. I have two options now. Nobara KDE or Arch KDE. Can I disable compositing effects on KDE? Also, what is the best GPU governor I can use? Thanks

2 hours ago, mushroomed said:

I did find a post on this forum mentioning Nobara linux. I have two options now. Nobara KDE or Arch KDE. Can I disable compositing effects on KDE? Also, what is the best GPU governor I can use? Thanks

If you want gaming ready i would choose nobara it includes extra packages to make gaming smoother.

As for arch you can do it but you'll have to gather packages you'll need and build it so it's gaming ready.

Yes you can disable effects in settings.

It's pretty lots of effects you can turn on and off.

In nobara in welcome screen you can update system then you can install nvidia drivers if you use nvidia and it has Flatpak support and webapps.

I have feeling you read topic where I've recommended nobara kde. I'm glad you're interested.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

47 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

If you want gaming ready i would choose nobara it includes extra packages to make gaming smoother.

As for arch you can do it but you'll have to gather packages you'll need and build it so it's gaming ready.

Yes you can disable effects in settings.

It's pretty lots of effects you can turn on and off.

In nobara in welcome screen you can update system then you can install nvidia drivers if you use nvidia and it has Flatpak support and webapps.

I have feeling you read topic where I've recommended nobara kde. I'm glad you're interested.

Yeah! I saw your post from a few days ago I think. I was pretty set on Ubuntu but then encountered all these different distibutions and I just had to make an account to ensure that I was making the right choice. Shall I go with Nobara KDE edition? Can you guide me through disabling the compositor? I read about gamemoderun by someone (a cpu governor for performance mode???). Any input on your part would be appreciated!

8 hours ago, mushroomed said:

Can I disable compositing effects on KDE? Also, what is the best GPU governor I can use?

compositing effects are disabled when something is fullscreen and in focus, but yes you can disable the desktop effects if you wish

I don't have a answer for the governor and I don't expect it to make a major difference.

6 hours ago, mushroomed said:

Yeah! I saw your post from a few days ago I think. I was pretty set on Ubuntu but then encountered all these different distibutions and I just had to make an account to ensure that I was making the right choice. Shall I go with Nobara KDE edition? Can you guide me through disabling the compositor? I read about gamemoderun by someone (a cpu governor for performance mode???). Any input on your part would be appreciated!

Yes i do recommend.

If i remember correctly

>Start>system>settings>style/theme>effects.

It's hard to miss because settings is like control panel for KDE I've enabled extra effects like closing window it explodes.

Thanks to effects it tells me what happend to window whenever it's closed or minimised then I'm sure what i did.

And as @Nayr438 mentioned it does disable itself because I've noticed games window doesn't explode so effects is off.

About gamemoderun I've have no experience with it and I've never heard of it so I've planned to learn about it later.

Good luck 👍

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖