Overkill gaming pc

OhYou_

Budget (including currency): 600 usd

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Crysis, fallout3, morrowwind, ut3

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I have had a 4670 agp collecting dust for 3 years now and I finally have found it a home.
an https://www.asrock.com/mb/nvidia/am2nf3-vsta/

I plan to get a Phenom X4 980 when I confirm things all work.
I also have 2x2gb corsair dominator for it

I'm missing cpu cooling solution, case, psu, storage
case is easy, its atx, but I'd rather get something with some retro styling or even a used retro case
psu, i dont think theres anything special with the setup except it is a 20 pin board, and a 24pin will hit the gpu
storage, it supports sata 1 1.5gb/s. it claims raid 0 support, can I get 3gb/s this way with two ssds in parallel? Or is the restriction 1.5gb/s shared?
cpu cooling is ? water cooling maybe because am2/3 is not the same as 4/5 so

Any point to a sound card or other peripherals?

8 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

well, you could just get a AM3 compatible air cooler that can cool 125W+ TDP cooler:

image.png.ac62c82ceba7cca56e84f64967580eb2.png

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

20 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

Budget (including currency): 600 usd

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Crysis, fallout3, morrowwind, ut3

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I have had a 4670 agp collecting dust for 3 years now and I finally have found it a home.
an https://www.asrock.com/mb/nvidia/am2nf3-vsta/

I plan to get a Phenom X4 980 when I confirm things all work.
I also have 2x2gb corsair dominator for it

I'm missing cpu cooling solution, case, psu, storage
case is easy, its atx, but I'd rather get something with some retro styling or even a used retro case
psu, i dont think theres anything special with the setup except it is a 20 pin board, and a 24pin will hit the gpu
storage, it supports sata 1 1.5gb/s. it claims raid 0 support, can I get 3gb/s this way with two ssds in parallel? Or is the restriction 1.5gb/s shared?

Any point to a sound card or other peripherals?

What you gonna do with that old crap ? Install DOS? 🙂 

Can get a new PC for just $600 that will blow that out of the water, the 6600 is .. 20 times faster that the 4670 AGP Jurassic card !!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450M-A PRO MAX II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($34.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card  ($184.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 40 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: MSI MAG A550BN 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $591.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-26 18:45 EST-0500

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

54 minutes ago, podkall said:

well, you could just get a AM3 compatible air cooler that can cool 125W+ TDP cooler:

image.png.ac62c82ceba7cca56e84f64967580eb2.png

Yes but it looks like not very many coolers are made anymore that support am3.
but I did find that if I email noctua, they will just send me a bracket for free so I can just get a nh-d15 or something. Hopefully it has some headroom for a lot of overclocking

37 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

What you gonna do with that old crap ? Install DOS? 🙂 

Can get a new PC for just $600 that will blow that out of the water

windows xp actually. funnily, the board itself has incompatibilities with windows 7 when using an am3 cpu for some reason.
it isnt the point to build some new pc. the point is to build a mid 2000s pc to take to boomer lan parties. It's just im sneaking a 2011 cpu in there dont tell anyone.
I may actually pass on that and use an older cpu though
I have at least two retro lan parties lined up this year I intend to take it to.

I actually have under 100usd spent so far. as a bit of reference, the last three 4670 agp cards each sold this month for 200usd. mine was $6
the boards are a mixed bag because they usually go for $150+ in the US but two came up recently in Europe and I missed the first but bought the other for arguably too much at like 90 taxed and shipped.
I have a psu but it is  1kw and completely overkill, plus I think its full 24p and might not work.
I have a case too but its not retro and too big for my usecase
heck if I look hard enough I have some zalman cnps9800 I can maybe find the am3 bracket to and use that, but they perform like hot garbage.
Like I could do this for $100 total but I want something nice at the end.

51 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

heck if I look hard enough I have some zalman cnps9800 I can maybe find the am3 bracket to and use that, but they perform like hot garbage.

if am3 coolers are compatible you can probably find one of these and it should cool the cpu down adequately

th-2990833656.jpg.e3d6fcfbb2311d2e171793e2629e3014.jpg

though youll probably wanna replace the fan with something abit more powerful

10 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

but I did find that if I email noctua, they will just send me a bracket for free so I can just get a nh-d15 or something. Hopefully it has some headroom for a lot of overclocking

windows xp actually. funnily, the board itself has incompatibilities with windows 7 when using an am3 cpu for some reason.
it isnt the point to build some new pc. the point is to build a mid 2000s pc to take to boomer lan parties. It's just im sneaking a 2011 cpu in there dont tell anyone.
I may actually pass on that and use an older cpu though
I have at least two retro lan parties lined up this year I intend to take it to.

I actually have under 100usd spent so far. as a bit of reference, the last three 4670 agp cards each sold this month for 200usd. mine was $6
the boards are a mixed bag because they usually go for $150+ in the US but two came up recently in Europe and I missed the first but bought the other for arguably too much at like 90 taxed and shipped.
I have a psu but it is  1kw and completely overkill, plus I think its full 24p and might not work.
I have a case too but its not retro and too big for my usecase

Well whatever the goal I can't see any advantage of building old crap at the same price than new stuff performing 10x better...

But hey that's your money 🙂 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

OP, if you’re trying to do a retro build, just don’t.  I promise it will be cool for all of 5 minutes and then you’ll hate it and wanna just use a modern PC.  This is not like restoring a classic car or a 90s import.  It’s mass produced stuff that works exactly the same as the new version but way slower and less compatible.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

1 hour ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

OP, if you’re trying to do a retro build, just don’t.  I promise it will be cool for all of 5 minutes and then you’ll hate it and wanna just use a modern PC.  This is not like restoring a classic car or a 90s import.  It’s mass produced stuff that works exactly the same as the new version but way slower and less compatible.

I already have a modern pc, multiple ones in fact.
not gonna get me to buy a third one

1 hour ago, OhYou_ said:

I already have a modern pc, multiple ones in fact.
not gonna get me to buy a third one

Then why do this?

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

13 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Then why do this?

to take to retro lan parties like i said earlier

19 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

lot of them like you mentioned with Noctua support AM3, not sure if all of them need the bracket though, that's probably how they are compatible..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $109.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-27 14:48 EST-0500

see how it's saying that it's compatible even though it requires the bracket (could be shipped with it, not sure)

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I received the motherboard today.
I did not realize it but it came with a cpu and ram haha.
Put windows xp on it using a random ssd and a couple things like onecore and some testing software for now
It seems like it works great but I have it running on a picopsu rated for just 36 watts so I cant test any games or load the gpu down, it will just turn off lol.
It's actually a pretty quick machine, I've got firefox 123 on it and I'm posting here with it hah.

yeah I think I will probably go with the NH-D15
Really need to figure out the case too

untitled.thumb.PNG.ffee89dca0ca91e46b7c7ac668e59487.PNG

Personally I'd favor a q6600 over a pIIx4 from that era but that's just from working on so many dead Am2+ (fake am3) prebuilts over the years.

Been planning a retro build for years but the only case I want to use is from a Hp s7000 slimline which means power and cooling will be jank. The idea is a modest xp gaming pc that I can fit in a laptop bag... that and it'll keep the ghost of the first pc I ever bought alive. (so I'm stuck between Sandy-haswell with a gt750 realm) Got screwed last attempt back when Am1 came out (A5350, 8g, gtx750) and it was a mess, funnily enough it ended up running W10/11 fine and became an office rig.

1 hour ago, TayuyaUzumaki said:

q6600

ah the problem with those was I was very specific on that the motherboard does not contain any pci-e slots. There are a few boards that support the q6600 and agp 3.0, but they all were hybrid boards that had the agp AND a pci-e x16.
Also at the time I started searching for the board, I kinda assumed I would be able to get a phenom x6 going in it but that isnt the case.

1 hour ago, TayuyaUzumaki said:

Hp s7000 slimline

I've seen those cases before, yeah they are pretty good cases overall for a prebuilt