Keyboard advice.

Gin N Rum 5454

So I was wondering what are the important properties to look out for in a keyboard. I am slowly remaster my setup to get high end parts that are most importantly, best in functionality, and secondly, that I like aesthetically. I plan is for this setup to last a minimum of 7 years.

Anyway I am looking to upgrade my keyboard now and looking for recommendations and any advice you guys might have.

A few requirements:
I don't want a mechanical keyboard, gets picked up by mics easily.

I'd prefer a full length keyboard, not those mini ones that don't have a keypad.

A metal one would be nice as I like the feel of them.

I like RGB keyboards or those painted ones where, for example, most of the keys of silver but some have a nice red paint to them. If that makes sense

Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations given.

Let me know if you have any questions for me or anything.

What's your budget?

I'd honestly go custom with your requirements. Keychron has some nice options. Anything with Gateron Yellow switches and a metal base would be up your alley, while Gateron Yellows are mechanical switches they're pretty quite and some of the smoothest typing switches I've ever used.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

5 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

What's your budget?

I'd honestly go custom with your requirements. Keychron has some nice options. Anything with Gateron Yellow switches and a metal base would be up your alley, while Gateron Yellows are mechanical switches they're pretty quite and some of the smoothest typing switches I've ever used.

£130 but I honestly don't mind saving up to get the best of the best

6 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

What's your budget?

And thanks for advice, to be honest a custom keyboard never entered my mind but that sounds like a great idea.

25 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

What's your budget?

Those keychron ones look plastic

1 minute ago, Gin N Rum 5454 said:

Those keychron ones look plastic

They have both plastic and metal options(you need to specifically select the metal version in the options), it also depends on the type of finish/color you get. Keep in mind the pictures also do not do them justice. They're going to look different/better in person. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

9 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

They have both plastic and metal options(you need to specifically select the metal version in the options), it also depends on the type of finish/color you get. Keep in mind the pictures also do not do them justice. They're going to look different/better in person. 

So I just watched a video on custom built keyboard and I know a bit more about keyboards now.

I think the important thing to me is to get one that is practically already made that has "linear" switches so that it feels smooth and then just buy some metal keycaps and replace them. Are there websites that sell keycaps and maybe ones that allow you to chose what colours for the keys (kinda like how cablemod allows you to chose custom cables and what colours they are)

2 minutes ago, Gin N Rum 5454 said:

Could I get a steelseries keyboard and just replace the keycaps with custom ones?

yes (as long as they dont use propietary mounted keycaps for some reason, i have only seen this on membrane or logitech keyboards tho)

2 minutes ago, Gin N Rum 5454 said:

Could I get a steelseries keyboard and just replace the keycaps with custom ones?

unfortunately with apex 3 no but the apex pro is pretty good it’s aluminum but is mechanical

https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/reviews/steelseries/apex-pro-tkl-2023

wd-40 is god there is no other god than wd-40 wd-40 is the solution to all problems