Packet loss

2kPat

This has been a reoccurring problem for me. I always have packet loss most of the time 0-5% but it sometimes get really extreme and goes to 5-20% This has made gaming harder than it should be and made it less enjoying, does anyone know how to fix packet loss, maybe a new router?? I have good internet speeds but packet loss is the only thing holding me back. I also use an ethernet cable. 

what else is on your network? what router do you have? are you using the ISP modem or one you own?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

3 minutes ago, OddOod said:

what else is on your network? what router do you have? are you using the ISP modem or one you own?

tbh i dont really know what that means but ig im using a router, tp-link ac1200 archer a64

If there are a lot of devices using the network at the same time you can run into packet loss issues. 

It could also be an overheating issue. When I had significant network troubles I solved them by putting the router on a cheapo laptop cooling pad and ziptying a case fan onto the side of the modem. That kept everything running mostly fine until I finally put together the cash for a major network upgrade

It might be as simple as a bad ethernet cable, you could try swapping that out.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

3 minutes ago, OddOod said:

If there are a lot of devices using the network at the same time you can run into packet loss issues. 

It could also be an overheating issue. When I had significant network troubles I solved them by putting the router on a cheapo laptop cooling pad and ziptying a case fan onto the side of the modem. That kept everything running mostly fine until I finally put together the cash for a major network upgrade

It might be as simple as a bad ethernet cable, you could try swapping that out.

i get packet loss through out the day but there is more when my parents are home and using the network, and i dont think my ethernet cable is bad because i got it not too long ago, it might be an overheating issue but maybe not i have my router right on top of my fridge lol

21 hours ago, kriksis said:

there is more when my parents are home and using the network

You should probably look into whether your router has QoS settings that can prioritize your packets over other endpoints. 
https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

Be aware that while it shouldn't impact things like netflix streaming and the like, it could have negative fallout for the other people in the house