What is this?

storm05
Go to solution Solved by Holmes108,

This is a recurring issue for me with this game (the excessive darkness). Sometimes it can happen every 10 minutes, other times it'll go longer.  

The best workaround I've found is to use the console command to toggle global illumination. I don't have the precise command handy, but it's something like "r.globalilluminationmethod" (that's definitely not quite right)

If you start typing it in the console, you should see it. Make it  (using the correct full setting name) "globalillumination 0", then immediately "globalillumination 1", and it should fix it. 

The nice thing is these commands will stay in your console history, so once you've typed it once, it's super easy to toggle in the future. Still an annoying glitch though.

Edit: Think I found it. It should be:

r.DynamicGlobalIlluminationMethod 0

r.DynamicGlobalIlluminationMethod 1

I believe this toggles Lumen off and then back on.

I have been playing ARK: Survival Ascended and noticed som graphical bugs or a defect with my gpu not sure witch it is, or if this is a normal problem 

It gets worse when i lower the Global illumination quality to anything lower then epic 

And sometimes the global illumination just breaks and every illumination gets very very dark but not com

pretty black 

my rig:

i3 12100f

rtx 4060

16gb 3600mhz ddr4

2tb kc3000 nvme 

It might be an HDR bug

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Doesn't look like a hardware problem to me

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

This is a recurring issue for me with this game (the excessive darkness). Sometimes it can happen every 10 minutes, other times it'll go longer.  

The best workaround I've found is to use the console command to toggle global illumination. I don't have the precise command handy, but it's something like "r.globalilluminationmethod" (that's definitely not quite right)

If you start typing it in the console, you should see it. Make it  (using the correct full setting name) "globalillumination 0", then immediately "globalillumination 1", and it should fix it. 

The nice thing is these commands will stay in your console history, so once you've typed it once, it's super easy to toggle in the future. Still an annoying glitch though.

18 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

thanks that helps a lot 
you know anything about the light ray flickering? 

12 minutes ago, storm05 said:

thanks that helps a lot 
you know anything about the light ray flickering? 

Afraid not. My work PC won't load your attachment from the first post, but I'm quite sure I've definitely experienced it what you're talking about. It's pretty hit or miss. I notice it most when I'm around a bunch of trees it seems, but it doesn't always happen. Also annoying.

Edit: I'm on a 4070, for what it's worth. My sister in law is also on a 4070 and has none of these issues, including crashes. Very hard to pin down.