I bought this usb c, hdmi dock but i dont know how to power it?

IR76
Go to solution Solved by SlayerOfHellWyrm,

So, that's what is more appropriately called a USB-C multiport adapter. The power is not required, it's a PD passthrough of 100W. Meaning, you can plug it into any USB-C host that is supported and everything should work, but if you also connect a 100W charger to the USB-C PD passthrough port (PD = power delivery, this port should be marked) it will then also charge that device up to either 100W or more likely, 85W (most USB-C devices like this need 15W of power and will take from the host on it's own, but with PD plugged in, they reserve it from the charger and 100 - 15 = 85). That 100W is not needed, and you don't have to connect a charger. Any USB-C compliant host should be able to output the power needed. If power was required it would come with a power adapter or indicate as such.

Now, in terms of watching video from a P7A? I don't think the P7A supports DisplayPort Alternative Mode (DP-Alt mode, or DPAM) which is required for video output over a USB-C port. I think DPAM was added in the 8, but the P7A doesn't support this as far as I understand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Multiport-Adapter-Delivery-ThinkPad-Space-Grey/dp/B0BR3M8XHK/ref=sr_1_3?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Tdt_EyJhdd20kpmsfwIk76bJE2Xem9VE7MUt2827dUbIPCyxmNpbat8g0ED5O9plhfbvmqdPLzcELGocAPaqhsHSlE9EtYSanQaGIl5M-IcZwh9FPLfar0dDj6CGZKDM9Jv3DDio4YKID0yCT90L-pTgGcX8-3O53YCpN9sOuUyFQ_WdmrK_lEvxtUejTa9Ade3x6Q9XrIal6jCDwoOLN_GdwNeips4fT8AfBy9Uvww.PBvSp1TL0lUqjiJWrW8mbxKJDgb7YS35HFCwG3neO1s&dib_tag=se&keywords=usb+c+dock&sr=8-3 

image.thumb.png.a9fbda8961052d285466c736ad91e2f5.png

Judging by the photos of the reviews it only comes with the dock and no usb c plug head thing so what do i need to power it? Because my plug heads have normal usb type A ports and the dock needs 100 watts or can i just power it with my phone or a laptop, My main goal is to be able to connect my pixel 7a to it and an hdmi to a tv so i can watch anything on my phone on a bigger display. Yes im aware of Chromecast but i wanted to get this as i know ugreens good and i figured this can have many other uses. 

So, that's what is more appropriately called a USB-C multiport adapter. The power is not required, it's a PD passthrough of 100W. Meaning, you can plug it into any USB-C host that is supported and everything should work, but if you also connect a 100W charger to the USB-C PD passthrough port (PD = power delivery, this port should be marked) it will then also charge that device up to either 100W or more likely, 85W (most USB-C devices like this need 15W of power and will take from the host on it's own, but with PD plugged in, they reserve it from the charger and 100 - 15 = 85). That 100W is not needed, and you don't have to connect a charger. Any USB-C compliant host should be able to output the power needed. If power was required it would come with a power adapter or indicate as such.

Now, in terms of watching video from a P7A? I don't think the P7A supports DisplayPort Alternative Mode (DP-Alt mode, or DPAM) which is required for video output over a USB-C port. I think DPAM was added in the 8, but the P7A doesn't support this as far as I understand.

Edited by SlayerOfHellWyrm
Just clarifying that the USB-C PD in isn't needed.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

3 minutes ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

So, that's what is more appropriately called a USB-C multiport adapter. The power is not required, it's a PD passthrough of 100W. Meaning, you can plug it into any USB-C host that is supported and everything should work, but if you also connect a 100W charger to the USB-C PD passthrough port (PD = power delivery, this port should be marked) it will then also charge that device up to either 100W or more likely, 85W (most USB-C devices like this need 15W of power and will take from the host on it's own, but with PD plugged in, they reserve it from the charger and 100 - 15 = 85).

First paragraph:
Ah i see perfect thank you so much i understand now thank you 🙂

Second Paragraph:

ah thats fine i suspected that as someone told me but i thought this could potentially fix that  but i still bought since it could come in handy and have many uses as well as that im going to a mates house for a party and we are brining consoles, different phones so i figured as well as a usb hub i might as well get this in case we need it for anything or want to use it for something. 

Thank you very much SlayerofHell. 

11 minutes ago, IR76 said:

First paragraph:
Ah i see perfect thank you so much i understand now thank you 🙂

Second Paragraph:

ah thats fine i suspected that as someone told me but i thought this could potentially fix that  but i still bought since it could come in handy and have many uses as well as that im going to a mates house for a party and we are brining consoles, different phones so i figured as well as a usb hub i might as well get this in case we need it for anything or want to use it for something. 

Thank you very much SlayerofHell. 

No problems homie. I'm very familiar with this sort of product. Anything with USB-C data should be able to use most of it. USB-C PD capable devices can also use the passthrough for charging, and anything with DP-Alt mode can use the video out. The NIC (that Ethernet port) will only work on USB-C devices that either are running an OS with the required native support for whatever chip is in that, or it will need a driver installed. These things commonly use either a Realtek RTL8153 or an ASIX AX88179/AX88179A. Both chips work in a lot of stuff natively, including many phones.

I'm silly, that thing doesn't have a NIC lol. I'm so used to them having it. Also explains why its cost is so low.

Edited by SlayerOfHellWyrm
Correcting an inaccuracy (striked out)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section