I want to upgrade my z420 GPU To RX580

Fa04
Go to solution Solved by da na,

You need to buy the HP part number cable 721859-001. The Z-series workstations are designed to deliver 8-pin wattage levels over their 6-pin connector so the HP official adapters are safe to use - do NOT use ANY other adapter - I made that mistake with my z840 and almost started a house fire. 

Connector is like $8-15 USD. 

Also, watch those temperatures. The case of the z420 shoooould be open enough for RX580 card to run cool, but with say a 620 or 820 you'd definitely want a blower card. 

Hello,

So I have an HP z420 Workstation and have been wondering if I could upgrade the GPU. I found the Rx580 to be ideal for my system but, it requires an 8-pin connecter while I have only a single 6-pin connecter. 

I read some articles that say you can ignore the other two pins and connect the 6 pins only but, I also heard it might cause some overload on the cable and cause some heating or crashes. 

Please recommend me something other than changing my PSU cause where I live the RX580 already costs a lot, so getting a new PSU would be difficult.

You need to buy the HP part number cable 721859-001. The Z-series workstations are designed to deliver 8-pin wattage levels over their 6-pin connector so the HP official adapters are safe to use - do NOT use ANY other adapter - I made that mistake with my z840 and almost started a house fire. 

Also, watch those temperatures. The case of the z420 shoooould be open enough for RX580 card to run cool, but with say a 620 or 820 you'd definitely want a blower card. 

2 minutes ago, da na said:

is it that sophisticated? there's different versions of z420

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

40 minutes ago, podkall said:

Not sure what you're asking here.

There's a Z620 and Z820 which are beefier models from the same line as the z420, but every z420 is the same. (edit: in terms of the case)

24 minutes ago, podkall said:

IIRC there are two revisions of the z420 motherboard (they had to change hardware to support Ivy Bridge), but everything else is the same.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

51 minutes ago, da na said:

If that's the case then couldn't i use the 6-pin without an adapter attached to it? I mean the last two pins are just sensing ground...image.png.bae7611c510cc1073af957e79a0b523b.png

2 minutes ago, Fa04 said:

If that's the case then couldn't i use the 6-pin without an adapter attached to it? I mean the last two pins are just sensing ground...image.png.bae7611c510cc1073af957e79a0b523b.png

You could try and shove the connector on there but often the clips don't align properly. 

25 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

IIRC there are two revisions of the z420 motherboard (they had to change hardware to support Ivy Bridge), but everything else is the same.

I used to be so mad that my z620 was manufactured just weeks before the switch to the Ivy Bridge firmware... 

9 minutes ago, da na said:

You could try and shove the connector on there but often the clips don't align properly. 

So it's a matter of aligning the pins together not the design... THX 
BTW how did you know about the 6-pin having the same power delivery as the 8-PINS connecter?

2 minutes ago, Fa04 said:

So it's a matter of aligning the pins together not the design... THX 
BTW how did you know about the 6-pin having the same power delivery as the 8-PINS connecter?

I was once in the same place as you several years ago, looking to buy an RX 570 for my first workstation, a z620. Did a good deal of research into if it would be safe to draw 150w from the connector. 

But besides that, HP wouldn't sell an official adapter for their workstations if it blew up your power supply. If the manufacturer sold an official certified cable to do what you're trying to do, it's almost 100% guaranteed to be safe.

3 minutes ago, da na said:

I was once in the same place as you several years ago, looking to buy an RX 570 for my first workstation, a z620. Did a good deal of research into if it would be safe to draw 150w from the connector. 

But besides that, HP wouldn't sell an official adapter for their workstations if it blew up your power supply. If the manufacturer sold an official certified cable to do what you're trying to do, it's almost 100% guaranteed to be safe.

You know what they say "History repeats itself". certainly, the official adapter is indeed safe but the issue I'm facing now is that I couldn't find the adapter anywhere nearby :-).  I searched on Amazon it says out of stock... soo you have any other recommendations like trying to shove the connector to the GPU? 🙂

12 minutes ago, Fa04 said:

You know what they say "History repeats itself". certainly, the official adapter is indeed safe but the issue I'm facing now is that I couldn't find the adapter anywhere nearby :-).  I searched on Amazon it says out of stock... soo you have any other recommendations like trying to shove the connector to the GPU? 🙂

eBay has the adapters.