HDDs strange noise and stuttering

Hello guys, recently, i have noticed that my 16 TB HDDs (which I cant backup at the moment), make this really strange noise, always when booting up the PC, and sometimes, randomly while its on. When it happens while its on, the file explorer suddenly stops working for a few seconds, doesn't respond, and then, the sound stops, and it starts working again with no problem. This happened with just one HDD a while ago, and then, after I had to change the PSU for another unrelationed problem, the other one started beeping, as well.

The only thing that they both have in common, (aside from the brand and storage, two Seagates IronWolfs Pro), its that I noticed that the SATA data cables, dont get completely plugged in the HDDs, both of them are a little loose, even when they have those metal plugs that should make them get stuck when plugged correctly (they are pretty stuck in the MOBO), but not in the HDDs. Maybe that could be a problem of the space of my case, which is a bit small, but the SATA power and data cables arent really the most flexible, and the usual slot which are in cases for the storage isnt always the most comfortable for the cable management, but i would like to know if someone knows what could be causing this noise and the stuttering. I took some videos to catch exactly the type of sounds they produce, and i will share the links to YT, to provide a better understanding. I already did some basic tests with Crystaldisk, which told me that the HDDs were in good shape (they have a little over one year of use). Also, I must clarify that I'm using the Y-splitter in the SATA power cable for the connection to the PSU for both HDDs.

PD: Sorry if the question isn't that well redacted, but my english isn't pretty good.

PD2: I already created this same thread in Tom's Hardware, and while they gave me good advice, the guy who answered also couldn't diagnose the exact cause of the sound, and while I think it could be an issue of the connection, I don't know any way of truly verifying it.

HDD sounds while booting: 

41 minutes ago, KyoKalreyn said:

Hello guys, recently, i have noticed that my 16 TB HDDs (which I cant backup at the moment), make this really strange noise, always when booting up the PC, and sometimes, randomly while its on. When it happens while its on, the file explorer suddenly stops working for a few seconds, doesn't respond, and then, the sound stops, and it starts working again with no problem. This happened with just one HDD a while ago, and then, after I had to change the PSU for another unrelationed problem, the other one started beeping, as well.

The only thing that they both have in common, (aside from the brand and storage, two Seagates IronWolfs Pro), its that I noticed that the SATA data cables, dont get completely plugged in the HDDs, both of them are a little loose, even when they have those metal plugs that should make them get stuck when plugged correctly (they are pretty stuck in the MOBO), but not in the HDDs. Maybe that could be a problem of the space of my case, which is a bit small, but the SATA power and data cables arent really the most flexible, and the usual slot which are in cases for the storage isnt always the most comfortable for the cable management, but i would like to know if someone knows what could be causing this noise and the stuttering. I took some videos to catch exactly the type of sounds they produce, and i will share the links to YT, to provide a better understanding. I already did some basic tests with Crystaldisk, which told me that the HDDs were in good shape (they have a little over one year of use). Also, I must clarify that I'm using the Y-splitter in the SATA power cable for the connection to the PSU for both HDDs.

PD: Sorry if the question isn't that well redacted, but my english isn't pretty good.

PD2: I already created this same thread in Tom's Hardware, and while they gave me good advice, the guy who answered also couldn't diagnose the exact cause of the sound, and while I think it could be an issue of the connection, I don't know any way of truly verifying it.

Nightmare fuel right there 😭

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

5 hours ago, KyoKalreyn said:

This is normal startup noise for this drive (and most other seagate drives of this type):

If this is happening randomly while the pc is on, it's likely a a power related issue is causing this. I would start by getting rid of the y splitter, and get separate power cables to each drive.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, sorry for the late reply, I went and only plugged one of the two HDDs to the MOBO and the PSU, still did the same strange noise. Idk how serious of a danger its that the HDDs do these weird noises, but it looks like they dont get any worse. I'll check every few days in CrystalDisk to see if something changes.

8 minutes ago, KyoKalreyn said:

Okay, sorry for the late reply, I went and only plugged one of the two HDDs to the MOBO and the PSU, still did the same strange noise. Idk how serious of a danger its that the HDDs do these weird noises, but it looks like they dont get any worse. I'll check every few days in CrystalDisk to see if something changes.

These "weird noises" you're talking about are actually normal. All seagate ST16000NE000's make this sound on startup.

4 hours ago, Ryker Robb said:

These "weird noises" you're talking about are actually normal. All seagate ST16000NE000's make this sound on startup.

I also think that if they're making that sound randomly during operation, it's probably because they had spun down, and then spun back up.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I also think that if they're making that sound randomly during operation, it's probably because they had spun down, and then spun back up.

Yes, and a flaky psu, or connection to, could also be causing this problem as well.

16 minutes ago, Ryker Robb said:

Yes, and a flaky psu, or connection to, could also be causing this problem as well.

Yes, but I would expect other problems to arise if the power supply was flaky. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

• 3 weeks later...

The power supply aint awesome, its a Corsair CX Series CX550F, but it also shouldn't explode or have big problems, its also brand new, since my old PSU died. Something I forgot, that PSU died, while it was connected to those drives, but none of the components of that PC looked affected. The connection is the only thing that scares me, since the SATA data cables weren't really locked on any of the disks, and probably the tension from the backplate of the case is kinda keeping them in its position.