NAS or Home Server

I have an old machine which I would like to use to backup my data and do a few other tasks.

Here are the specs of the machine I have spare:

Motherboard: ASUS F1A55-M LX Plus
CPU: AMD A4 3300
RAM: 8GB (2x 4GB)
GPU: MSI GTX760 2GB
SSD: none
HDD: 320GB + 4x4TB
PSU: 500w
Optical Drive: DVD RW

I'd like to do the following:
- backup the data I have in my one drive account
- backup the data in my Google drive x2 accounts
- create a copy of all my media
- run an instance of a Plex media server using the backed up media
- install something to backup photos from my phone (and maybe other family members phones eventually)
- have something to give a Google photos like experience for my photos (this can be at a later date)

I'm quite tech savvy and would like to able to expand the storage in the future. I'm not sure whether I should use TrueNas or Unraid on the machine. Or maybe something else entirely. I'm after some advice as to which direction to head in.

Thanks.

I would for starters, if the system supports virtualization, put a windows 10 on it. then hyper-v for a linux setup

On the windows you can use the Google and onedrive Plugins to mirror the online stuff.

You can setup Plex or Kodi

on the Linux set up a Nextcloud for Mobile picture and file sync. 

I got my own Home"Lab" here it started as a Core2Duo E8400 and Windows, 1,5 tb diskspace and 8gb ram. Running then Windows 10 and XBMC.

Now the machine got through several iterations.. I got a post for that her in the forums. 

In Short base OS is win 10 Pro running:

Hyper-V running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, that running Docker with Wireguard, NPM, PiHole, Wazuh, PFSense

Kodi 22.irgendwas

SFTP Server

Feel free to send me any questions.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

5 hours ago, Anghammarad said:

I would for starters, if the system supports virtualization, put a windows 10 on it. then hyper-v for a linux setup

On the windows you can use the Google and onedrive Plugins to mirror the online stuff.

You can setup Plex or Kodi

on the Linux set up a Nextcloud for Mobile picture and file sync. 

I got my own Home"Lab" here it started as a Core2Duo E8400 and Windows, 1,5 tb diskspace and 8gb ram. Running then Windows 10 and XBMC.

Now the machine got through several iterations.. I got a post for that her in the forums. 

In Short base OS is win 10 Pro running:

Hyper-V running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, that running Docker with Wireguard, NPM, PiHole, Wazuh, PFSense

Kodi 22.irgendwas

SFTP Server

Feel free to send me any questions.

This is exactly what I have done as well. 

Windows 11 pro with hyper v and then a vm for truenas and another running services for my server needs in Linux mint. The latter running haproxy, guacamole, next cloud, and pihole.