7800XT suddenly not detected - requires full driver reinstall

Bigcountry

Hello all, I've been having an issue with my 7800XT (Powercolor hellhound). The issue happens randomly, sometimes in-game, sometimes just navigating my desktop, and sometimes when I'm away from the computer entirely. 

Suddenly both of my displays (both connected via dp) will go black, but my computer will not crash.  If I'm playing a game, or listening to music, watching youtube, etc. I can still hear all the sounds of them, i.e. Windows has not crashed, it seems my GPU is suddenly just not being detected.  I can shut down my computer and reboot it with my power button, which will usually land me back at my desktop.  Sometimes in 800x600, but sometimes still at 1400.  Task manager indicates no GPU whatsoever, and when I try to launch Adrenaline I'm met with "The version of AMD software that you have launched is not compatible with your currently installed AMD graphics driver."

To fix this issue of the GPU no longer being detected, every time I have one of these crashing episodes, I have to uninstall Adrenaline + display drivers, and reinstall them completely.

Some things of note - 3 out of the 6 times this has happened was when the computer was idling while I had stepped away and may have happened around the 10 minute mark when windows is told to put the displays into auto-sleep.  I disabled auto-sleep settings for display adapters to try and mitigate this, but the other 3 times i've had this issue I was either just watching youtube videos or gaming.

Windows 10
7800XT - Powercolor Hellhound
AMD Ryzen 9 3900
32GB Ram
Corsair RMX Series RM750X
TUF Gaming 570-x Motherboard

I would contact power color and amd but knowing AMD it’s probably a driver  issue 

wd-40 is god there is no other god than wd-40 wd-40 is the solution to all problems

did you use DDU or equivalent before reinstalling the drivers? have you tried a different driver version? amd cards have a funny way of running beautifully on one driver and be totally broken on the next rev, has this been a regular thing since you first got the card or is this just a recent development? 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Just now, Ripred said:

did you use DDU or equivalent before reinstalling the drivers? have you tried a different driver version? amd cards have a funny way of running beautifully on one driver and be totally broken on the next rev, has this been a regular thing since you first got the card or is this just a recent development? 

I've used the AMD Cleanup Utility a few times after this issue has happened.  I've had the card for about 3 weeks, and the first 2 weeks it seemed stable, this has been on-going now for about 1 week. I'm on the latest AMD Adrenaline software and just allow that to manage my GPU drivers.  I had automatic driver updates on, so it's possible that it upgraded to a newer driver version that's less stable, i'll have to see if a new driver version came out within the last week or so...

1 minute ago, Bigcountry said:

I've used the AMD Cleanup Utility a few times after this issue has happened.  I've had the card for about 3 weeks, and the first 2 weeks it seemed stable, this has been on-going now for about 1 week. I'm on the latest AMD Adrenaline software and just allow that to manage my GPU drivers.  I had automatic driver updates on, so it's possible that it upgraded to a newer driver version that's less stable, i'll have to see if a new driver version came out within the last week or so...

yea first id try going back a version, i've found from experience AMD makes great hardware but be wary of updates(not only amd products but i digress), don't leave them on automatic update, ever, and wait a few weeks after you notice an update to see if there's any complaints about it for your model card, you don't need every version update unless there a specific feature you want or a dramatic performance improvement, plus its not recommended to keep updating over top of old drivers anyway as they can unknowingly conflict, just for future reference, id find what version your on, then download DDU to clear out any remanence of old gpu drivers and then reinstall the last version, if the problem still persists after that then theres other things to look at but baseline first is make sure the software side is in good shape

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

19 minutes ago, Ripred said:

yea first id try going back a version, i've found from experience AMD makes great hardware but be wary of updates(not only amd products but i digress), don't leave them on automatic update, ever, and wait a few weeks after you notice an update to see if there's any complaints about it for your model card, you don't need every version update unless there a specific feature you want or a dramatic performance improvement, plus its not recommended to keep updating over top of old drivers anyway as they can unknowingly conflict, just for future reference, id find what version your on, then download DDU to clear out any remanence of old gpu drivers and then reinstall the last version, if the problem still persists after that then theres other things to look at but baseline first is make sure the software side is in good shape

Thanks for the advice.  Went ahead and downloaded the DDU tool and the previous version of the Adrenaline software/driver package.  In the event that the crash happens again I'll wipe all previous drivers and install this older package, and take it from there