PC not booting with GPU inserted

Cazom

I put together my older pc after cleaning it, to sell it, no hardware changes except I stepped down to a 500W psu from 750W. 

MSI g45-z87 motherboard

g.skill 2x8gb ddr3

Intel 4770k

MSI Radeon r9 290x

When I boot with the GPU installed I get no error lights or beeps. All fans spin, even GPU, no video output even on intel onboard graphics. Remove GPU and it boots instantly and as expected (with onboard graphics)

Tried clear CMOS, no difference. 

Is this GPU dead? Either I broke it while cleaning or the PSU cant power it, but I'd expect 500w to be plenty for booting. Together the components should draw 498W at max tdp. No signs of damage on the GPU.

Try putting that gpu in another pc if you've the chance and see if it boots up, that should clear up whether it's dead or not.

Thanks, Ill put it in my newer build to see. Its a hassle though because my current PSU only has one GPU power block module cable on it right now.

3 minutes ago, Cazom said:

Thanks, Ill put it in my newer build to see. Its a hassle though because my current PSU only has one GPU power block module cable on it right now.

Best of luck!

Also I would recommend looking at what the power supply can actually output on the 12v rail( it should be written on a table on the PSU) if it is a older style PSU it might only be rated at 350w on the 12v rail. Another thing you could try is unplugging the GPU but leaving it installed and see if it boots as it should just not show up. If it still has issues with it unplugged it's probably the GPU.

Just out of curiosity what did you clean it with?