Anyone tried to modify/replace BD770i / BD790i cooler?

First of all, I'm new here (just created my account here) and im sorry if I posted this topic in the wrong sub.

So, I recently ordered the BD790i mobo/CPU combo. I read some concerns about CPU temps. that they hit high 80's over even higher at professional workloads.

Since I like to mod computers in general I wonder if it's possible to replace the stock cooler with a tower cooler. (I just bought it because it's cheaper [in my region] then mobo + 7950x and I know they perform differently stock)

Would like to hear from BD770i / BD790i customers if they tried to change the cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

Technically you can...  it appears to be a pga998b mounting bracket, if you're willing to take the risk you can force a mount for some aio's using the stock coolers mounting system however you'll need to be careful to implement the right mounting pressure to get enough contact for cooling but not too much, you could take a page from retro athlon and use tiny foam pressure absorbers on the corners for sanity... 

I would advise against coolers that put extra weight on the board/exposed die which rules out most staple air coolers (though I err on being over cautious). You might still need to find a way to dissipate heat from the VRM's after.

--Edit

Okay grew some balls, rethreaded the middle on the stock mounting brackets, got my arctic freezer II 280 installed (2 mounting holes lined up so horrible pressure but it works) lows to 38c highs 78c. Gotta get board thermals namely those mosfets/vrms that are now uncovered but This might be possible. Gunna finish putting the build together and pray to everything the pressure stays this good. This is not an ideal solution but it's the best answer so far. Just dropping low load from 50c to 40c alone gives me hope. the peak not hitting 80 let alone the 91c it was with earlier attempts highlights that it's possible if you can get that mounting down right and can move the heat fast.

Building this monstrosity in a nr200 is just begging for problems so if I can achieve a satisfactory goal with this it should mean anyone can with a more logical build.

20240228_033747.jpg

--Updated 3/5

With fans setup in the system like I would trying to air cool a 12600k it's temps are all reasonable from lows of 36c to highs of 70c (82c peaks) under actual real-world loads. I'd love to push it to it's limits but we might wanna wait till bios fixes come out, maybe by then specialty brackets might exist considering all the current MF Motherboards use the same mounting holes *to my knowledge so far.

---Added Notes 3/5/24

In bios you can set smu options (speedshift manual) to 75k or 80k across it's options (tdp limit by mW) and it will drop temps without performance taking too much of a hit. 80k drops all core to 4.4ghz avg all core from 4.7 stock all core turbo, with great airflow it's an ideal setting, if your airflow is poor 70/75k would be better. (It should still hit 5.0ghz on basic low core loads all day)

-I also swapped from nr200 to meshroomD, despite less internal volume the increased ventilation has helped almost reach test bench temps.

--3/23/24

Running with and AIO doesn't net enough of an improvement at this stage to justify damaging the original coolers mounting hardware, potentially damaging the AIO jankmounting it, and risking damaging the exposed dies as you'll have no stable mounting pressure and can easily end up in a situation where you're reaching 95c on post or succeeding with a stable temperamental build. -Tested with AF II 240, AF II 280. No significant change in peak temps nor sustained load temps over stock air cooler with nf-f12 and mx6 paste.

If you truly want similar (at stock) performance just build a 7950x system, you'll be able to cool it with coolers designed to mount properly and 90% of am5 boards I've seen have a vastly better bios and support for creature comforts. This board is more of a tweaker/novelty product, it's a brilliant showcase of just how much performance mobile chips can have with better cooling and higher tdp's but they may be a generation (or a few) away from making a product mobo+cpu that can be recommended to others and not just "accepted" by end users with the caveats that come with early adopting a niche product. It's fantastic but the number of headaches and rebuilds... basic things like the original thermal paste being dried and not covering the upper main die, the manual being useless causing end users to misunderstand the nvme mounting system and install their nvme's improperly which causes the nvme heatsink to sit a little off (causing mine to pull it's mounting point off the board after a few heat cycles)... there's just little QC things that could've caused problems but were easily resolved. I've ended up in a position where I'm saying they make good products... while the product I'm supporting is malfunctioning and limping around aimlessly behind me randomly spiking temps even at 16w idle.

Edited by TayuyaUzumaki
Conclusions.