Need to buy new earphones.

Gat Pelsinger

For context, I believe I've been cursed for earphones. Like seriously, I have changed earphones a lot of times recently and a bit less over an year ago, just because they keep dying. Yes, I use cheap ones, but even cheap ones last quite a bit, not like 2 weeks. My dad also uses cheap ones and he says he never gets any issues with earphones, because I killed the same ones he used to use before. I implied that he doesn't use them that much, but he says he uses them a lot but still they don't die like mine's. I don't understand what wrong I do. I don't keep falling, banging, or stretching them, but still. One thing I do is keep them plugged in a long time, which could be an issue? I don't know.

Now I am looking to buy new ones. And I going to spend a little more money, and then they BETTER LAST A WHILE, because I am so done with this. Right now, I am confused in buying in-ear earphones, or rubber earphones (btw, wired earphones only). I remember, I never had any problems using in-ear earphones, but only rubber ones have caused me pain so far. I have only used like 1 or maybe 2 in-ears, but they have lasted quite a while before giving up. And I think they were cheap as well. They might not give as much physical bass and sound experience (because they don't cover the ear), but I guess that doesn't matter as much, and definitely not if they will last longer. Plus, they don't fall of the ear that easily (I think). Perhaps, it is just my imagination thinking in-ears last longer, and if so, is there any benefit using rubber capped earphones?

My dad has an Iphone with the Apple standard in-ear earphones, and they do just sound really good (unless it's because it's Apple), but yes, I wish I had more "sound experience" (I don't know what the term is). But actually what I want to ask here, is if getting a type-c to 3.5mm headphone jack worth it?

I could go for a headphone, but honestly, I just want something that works for now. Headphones are expensive over earphones, so are there any good cheap headphones? I did also hear that earphones provide way better sound detailing over headphones as the sound directly enters the ears. Is it as good as it sounds?

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

Let me break this down

- keeps buying cheap stuff

then

- is surprised cheap stuff doesn’t last

???

What is your budget for this? There’s a huge variety of wired iems and entry level headphones out there but if you’re talking sub $50 wouldn’t even bother, because just about anything you buy like that will be in a similar scenario of “it’ll work until they simply don’t”.

Whats your budget?

I recommend Sennheiser IE-200s and the apple lightning to 3.5mm adapter. You can get them for under $150 usually and they have detachable cable so if you break that you can replace it, they also have multiple ear tips if you find the pre-installed ones uncomfortable. Been using these for over a year now (Although with a different adapter) without issue so they should last assuming you take care of them.
The sound is very good on them too at least compared to cheap/included stuff or basically anything wireless.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

I've had the same $10 Panasonic wired earbuds for years, and they're still fine. 🤷‍♂️

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

@8tg @rippy4500

I am not surprised that cheap stuff doesn't last long. But "long" here is at least a few months. They die way quicker. Also, explaining the budget is kind of hard. You are saying at least 50 bucks, but at that I can get a Pro gamer RGB headphones I think, in my place. Currency conversion is not straightforward. And if so, then 12 dollars will be the max limit, but again, I don't think that it works like that. 

This all still doesn't explain the problems I stated. I said I am confused in in-ear earphones and rubber capped earphones. I would like brand recommendations, but it will be most likely international branded which will be hella expensive. I don't know what I am asking. I am better of searching local stores or amazon instead.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

9 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

@8tg @rippy4500

I am not surprised that cheap stuff doesn't last long. But "long" here is at least a few months. They die way quicker. Also, explaining the budget is kind of hard. You are saying at least 50 bucks, but at that I can get a Pro gamer RGB headphones I think, in my place. Currency conversion is not straightforward. And if so, then 12 dollars will be the max limit, but again, I don't think that it works like that. 

This all still doesn't explain the problems I stated. I said I am confused in in-ear earphones and rubber capped earphones. I would like brand recommendations, but it will be most likely international branded which will be hella expensive. I don't know what I am asking. I am better of searching local stores or amazon instead.

12 dollars isnt going to get you anything good. Im not even sure what to recommend in that price point.

Id just get the 3.5mm adapter, and something cheap from a good well known brand (Sony, sennheiser, apple, panasonic, samsung, etc.). Then save up for some more expensive iems (maybe 50-150 dollars) to use indefinetly.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

If your device has a headphone jack just use that, if you want USB-C to 3.5mm recommendations the Abigail CX1993 is the best dongle out there, if you're in the US an apple one works great (Apple dongle has funny volume adjustment on android, plus outside of US apple nerfs the max output) as for IEM's and headphones could you please give a budget and location? cheap in-ears have gotten REALLY good and might be perfect for you (i'd ignore the big tech brands for in ears, especially on a budget) 

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

I've had the same $10 Panasonic wired earbuds for years, and they're still fine. 🤷‍♂️

If you use these ones  https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Headphones-RP-HJE120-K-Ergonomic-Comfort-Fit/dp/B003EM8008/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1FX5I7M4LHOPT&keywords=panasonic%2Bearbuds&qid=1707771938&sprefix=panasonic%2Bear%2Bbu%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-3&th=1

I remember when these used to be like $3.99-$5 bucks on amazon and purchased them back in ~2015? Still work fine as well!

4 hours ago, Cocococo said:

If your device has a headphone jack just use that, if you want USB-C to 3.5mm recommendations the Abigail CX1993 is the best dongle out there, if you're in the US an apple one works great (Apple dongle has funny volume adjustment on android, plus outside of US apple nerfs the max output) as for IEM's and headphones could you please give a budget and location? cheap in-ears have gotten REALLY good and might be perfect for you (i'd ignore the big tech brands for in ears, especially on a budget) 

Linsoul ships worldwide so it's a great platform to buy IEM's from and pretty much all the in-ears worth buying are chi-fi, Moondrop Chu2 are great, Salnote Zero2 are great, Truthear Hola (if you can find a pair) are still absolutely worth buying. As the budget increases stuff like the Truthear Zero RED and Truthear hexa is available and completely decimates everything well known tech companies currently make (including Sennheiser, they've made one genuinely great IEM and nothing else really compares to what chi-fi companies are doing)