Fractal Pop Air Case Fan Setup

Kuro2502

I'm building a PC using the Fractal Pop Air case, the system is all air cooled and I have a Hyper 212 as a CPU cooler. I was wondering what's the best setup for the case fan. Right now I'm thinking of 2 intake fans at the front and 3 exhaust fans (2 at the top & 1 at the back). Would that be good enough? For the case fans I'm thinking of getting the Cooler Master Masterfan MF120, do suggest if there are better alternatives for decently priced RGB fans.

3 hours ago, Kuro2502 said:

I'm building a PC using the Fractal Pop Air case, the system is all air cooled and I have a Hyper 212 as a CPU cooler. I was wondering what's the best setup for the case fan. Right now I'm thinking of 2 intake fans at the front and 3 exhaust fans (2 at the top & 1 at the back). Would that be good enough? For the case fans I'm thinking of getting the Cooler Master Masterfan MF120, do suggest if there are better alternatives for decently priced RGB fans.

Few questions, what version of the case are you getting Normal, Mini or XL, and secondly it comes with fans preinstalled, so RGB fan or no RGB fan bundle?

Also, what CPU do you have?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

6 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Few questions, what version of the case are you getting Normal, Mini or XL, and secondly it comes with fans preinstalled, so RGB fan or no RGB fan bundle?

Also, what CPU do you have?

It's the Normal version of the case and yes it does have 3 preinstalled RGB fans (2 at the front & 1 at the back), but I wanted to add 2 more at the top and I might as well make all the fans uniform, I don't really want mismatching aesthetics. Another reason is because I want PWM fans rather than the DC stock fans so I can better control them depending on the thermals.

My CPU is Ryzen 7 5700x

7 minutes ago, Kuro2502 said:

It's the Normal version of the case and yes it does have 3 preinstalled RGB fans (2 at the front & 1 at the back), but I wanted to add 2 more at the top and I might as well make all the fans uniform, I don't really want mismatching aesthetics. Another reason is because I want PWM fans rather than the DC stock fans so I can better control them depending on the thermals.

My CPU is Ryzen 7 5700x

The Aspect 12 fans fractal provides are fine for what youll need, also, theyre still 100% controllable in DC mode

Secondly the most i would do is 2 at front, 1 rear back and 1 rear top if you must, dont have more exhaust than intake, and to add to this, if you have an exhaust too far forward, itll suck air straight out from the intake and starve your pc of air, so running another fan in this instance will actually lower performance

TLDR 2 options for placement, as they are now or add 1 to top rear, no more

If you did want to change id put 2 MF140s in the front and 1 or 2 MF120s in the rear in the same setup as i said before

System specs:

4 hours ago, Kuro2502 said:

Do suggest if there are better alternatives for decently priced RGB fans.

There are the PWM rgb fractal aspects which are much better performing than the MF series, however i do believe the MFs RGB is nicer

EDIT: found out coolermaster brought out MF120/140 Halo2s which perform very well actually, if youre looking into Masterfans, definitely pay the extra for the Halo2, move more air, better RGB and quieter

System specs:

13 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

The Aspect 12 fans fractal provides are fine for what youll need, also, theyre still 100% controllable in DC mode

Secondly the most i would do is 2 at front, 1 rear back and 1 rear top if you must, dont have more exhaust than intake, and to add to this, if you have an exhaust too far forward, itll suck air straight out from the intake and starve your pc of air, so running another fan in this instance will actually lower performance

TLDR 2 options for placement, as they are now or add 1 to top rear, no more

If you did want to change id put 2 MF140s in the front and 1 or 2 MF120s in the rear in the same setup as i said before

Ahh alright, thanks for the insight. I'll probably go with 2 MF140s front and 2 MF120s rear.

21 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

There are the PWM rgb fractal aspects which are much better performing than the MF series, however i do believe the MFs RGB is nicer

EDIT: found out coolermaster brought out MF120/140 Halo2s which perform very well actually, if youre looking into Masterfans, definitely pay the extra for the Halo2, move more air, better RGB and quieter

Yeah, the Halo2 is what I've been looking at actually.

Thanks again for the advice 🙂

1 minute ago, Kuro2502 said:

Ahh alright, thanks for the insight. I'll probably go with 2 MF140s front and 2 MF120s rear.

Yeah, the Halo2 is what I've been looking at actually.

Thanks again for the advice 🙂

If youre from the UK, theyre decently cheap on amazon rn, all 4 fans racking up just under £80

System specs:

Since intake points have dust filters, it's advisable to have (if all fans are identical) one more fan on intake than exhaust. However, every setup is different so you can always play with other configurations.  As matMatt said, putting the front top fan as exhaust and the top front as intake will likely cause the former to suck right out what the latter brought in. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂