Weak mic input on new motherboard

Schnee_W0lf
Go to solution Solved by Schnee_W0lf,
22 hours ago, Schnee_W0lf said:

Sorry for only getting back to you so late. it's been a hectic week. I did change the volume and it is marginally improved at best. it was on 80. I did see there is a volume boost in advanced options, but I feel like the thing should be working without me having to artificially increase it's sound. Also when testing the mic with windows the best I could get out of it was 20% picked up.

Screenshot (14).png

Well great news. I just had to update to Windows11 to fix the issue. Still needed to change the settings for volume to 100, but looks like one of the Windows 10 updates screwed with the audio drivers or something. Thank you again for the Help @ImWilly

I recently baught myself an upgrade kit and put together essentially a new PC. It has the MSI B650-S Motherboard, Ryzen 5 7500f, and Kingston 5200MHz DDR5 RAM.

My headphones have ben plugged into the motherboard and their sound is what I would expect, nothing wrong there, but I only used the microphone yesterday for the first time with this build. My friends on discord said that I was extremely inaudible with very low volume. When I test it on the voice and audio settings in Discord I can hear that it is definitely not as audible as it normally is. I checked all my Windows and Discord settings, but all the input volumes are on maximum. When I plug the headset into my case mic and audio ports however everything works perfectly fine. mic is picking up perfectly.

I have already installed all the chipset drivers (This was the first thing I did when firing up the PC for the first time). I don't know what else to do now.

Does this mean the port on the motherboard is damaged and I have to RMA? Or is there another solution that I haven't thought of yet?

Could you share the picture of the jack 3.5mm slot you have plugged to your motherboard?
It's possible that instead of plugging into the 'mic' slot, you're plugging into the 'line' slot that has significantly lower gain setting

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

4 hours ago, ImWilly said:

Could you share the picture of the jack 3.5mm slot you have plugged to your motherboard?
It's possible that instead of plugging into the 'mic' slot, you're plugging into the 'line' slot that has significantly lower gain setting

I plug it into that top left hand one

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 20.24.43_7d9b33d7.jpg

7 hours ago, Schnee_W0lf said:

I plug it into that top left hand one

I see, at least that's cleared out

Then, the only probably way to check is through Windows setting, to make sure the "INPUT" section is setup correctly

In Windows Setting, click 'System', then 'Sound', and in 'Input' section, make sure the chosen device is the microphone/headset that you have plugged in to the motherboard (usually called 'Realtek') and then move the volume till it's maxed out (at 100).

There should be 2 section, 'Output' and 'Input', make sure not to mistakenly change the setting on the 'Output'.

image.png.5f3fbcbcfc8ec9f50cd77ffe2801dbd8.png

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

On 2/12/2024 at 3:58 AM, ImWilly said:

I see, at least that's cleared out

Then, the only probably way to check is through Windows setting, to make sure the "INPUT" section is setup correctly

In Windows Setting, click 'System', then 'Sound', and in 'Input' section, make sure the chosen device is the microphone/headset that you have plugged in to the motherboard (usually called 'Realtek') and then move the volume till it's maxed out (at 100).

There should be 2 section, 'Output' and 'Input', make sure not to mistakenly change the setting on the 'Output'.

image.png.5f3fbcbcfc8ec9f50cd77ffe2801dbd8.png

Sorry for only getting back to you so late. it's been a hectic week. I did change the volume and it is marginally improved at best. it was on 80. I did see there is a volume boost in advanced options, but I feel like the thing should be working without me having to artificially increase it's sound. Also when testing the mic with windows the best I could get out of it was 20% picked up.

Screenshot (14).png

22 hours ago, Schnee_W0lf said:

Screenshot (14).png

Well great news. I just had to update to Windows11 to fix the issue. Still needed to change the settings for volume to 100, but looks like one of the Windows 10 updates screwed with the audio drivers or something. Thank you again for the Help @ImWilly