Volume too Loud IE300 iPad Pro with USB C dongle

BecauseRussia

I have a pair of Sennheiser IE300. I have tried using them on my iPad Pro with M1 with both the official Apple USB C to 3.5mm adapter and the same type of adapter from UGreen. With both adapters on the lowest volume setting the IE300 are just too loud, they are painful to listen to for any extended period of time.

Notably this issue does not exist on my iPhone 13 Pro Max using the lighting to 3.5mm adapter. So, I don't believe it is an issue with the earbuds themselves. I have used them a handful of times on Windows and while I did have to turn the volume way down, I was able to get it to a comfortable level.

Does anyone know of a way to lower the output volume from the iPad, or have a product that could lower that volume? Thus far my google foo has not returned any results.

Just now, BecauseRussia said:

Does anyone know of a way to lower the output volume from the iPad

This may sound silly but you didn't mention it.. you did try simply lowering the volume with the volume rocker on the iPad... right?

Not silly, always good to start with the basic/simple stuff. Currently I can only use the earbuds at the lowest volume setting before turning the sound completely off. I did read that you can go into settings and enable a Safe Hearing mode which lets you control the maximum volume out of the device. Unfortunately, enabling that feature made no perceptible difference.

Is there a custom EQ you can download for iOS? Lowering all frequencies on a decent equaliser should get you lower volumes, alternatively knock off dongle dacs exist, apple is most recommended in US because it has a pretty high output power, a knock off will let less power through and decrease the volume