Bought 2 SATA SSDs and neither of them are showing up on my PCs?

imKaia

Hey all, 

I recently bought a cheap boot drive for my SOs PC they built. 

I started with a ADATA 480GB SATA ssd. 

After plugging it into her PC it didn’t detect it when I looked at “format hard disk partitions” 

I also have a USB SSD reader and the light turned on when I plugged it in, but also didn’t pop up on either PC. 

So I then bought a 480Gb Kingston SATA SSD and same thing.. it didn’t detect it. 

I plugged both them into my personal PC and got a pop up “The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error.” 

Did I really get two dead drives? I haven’t added a SATA ssd to a new PC in years, maybe I’m doing something wrong? 

I’m just plugging them into the extra SATA cables on the PSU? 

Thanks a bunch. 

3 hours ago, imKaia said:

m just plugging them into the extra SATA cables on the PSU? 

SATA drives require two cables, a sata power cable from the PSU and a SATA data cable to the motherboard.

Brand new drives require formatting before they are seen in windows. Open Disk Managment and right click the unallocated space and click format from the context menu.

Make sure the SATA cables are in good condition and are connected properly to the drives and your motherboard

5 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

SATA drives require two cables, a sata power cable from the PSU and a SATA data cable to the motherboard.

Brand new drives require formatting before they are seen in windows. Open Disk Managment and right click the unallocated space and click format from the context menu.

Are you kidding me. I’m so dumb. I was only using the PSU cable.