Framework Stand-alone Mod - Noctua NH-L9a-AM4

Important Notes:

I've design this to work on my AMD Frameworks motherboard and the Intel boards are untested. Follow this guide at your own risk.

Spoilers: Framework has hamstrung the AMD Ryzen chipset by throttling the CPU to a paltry sum of just 17W. Under all core utilization the max that I can my chip to clock upto is 2100 Mhz, and 1750 Average Mhz. I was able to clock the 760m to a boost clock of 2400 before the performance starts to fall on it's face. For overclocking I am using AATU though not fully supported I was able to clock the iGPU higher than what I was able to by default. I had ambitions of making the cpu holder customized to replace the Framework cooler with desktop eniterly but this mod is all that is needed to keep the fan from making an absolute ear piercing noise. With the fan directly contacting the heat pipes it's able to keep the whole package under 42C. If you are able to get the 7000 Series Mobile processor to overclock please let me know. Till then this project is done.

Description:

I've spent yesterday modeling a replacement cover that holds the heatsink in place over the top of the heatsinks off the cooler-master heat spreader. Similar to the design as Elevated Systems design but adapted to suit the model of Nactua heatsink I've selected. It utilizes the holes in the aluminium sheets and the actual heat tubes to compress the heatsink down onto the existing heat pipes. Printed with rigid enough material should apply enough force to compress the heatsink down to effectively transfer heat to Nactua heatsink and fan.

Works in progress:

*Automatic speed controls depending on the CPU temp via eBay +12VDC adapter.

Example: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305269828606

Community Ideas:

(Suggestions here)

Things you'll need

*Frameworks/Cooler Masters Standalone Case

*Frameworks AMD Motherboard

*3D printer with build volume of 200mm*150mm

*2mm thermal pads to pickup a few voltage regulators (optional)

*2x M2x8mm bolts

Reference:

Link to Elevated Systems video - 

Hopes and Dream:
Future projects on this are to integrate the standalone case and external GPU case. Though after exhaustive research it's not currently worth the investment of the hardware. Maybe after USB5 comes out then it can be more worth while but till then it's just simply not worth it.

Happy printing

Case Mod Screenshot.PNG

IMG_20240210_142035.jpg

Framework Fan Mod Right V1.0.STL

Framework Fan Mod Left V1.0.STL