"G-Keys"-like macro pad that works with MacOS

sascha2494
Go to solution Solved by sascha2494,

TL;DR: Found a software solution I'm comfortable with

Still reading? Here's the (slightly) longer version:

9 hours ago, seon123 said:

Yes. Because the keyboard already knows what inputs it is sending to the PC. If you have a macro pad, it would have to know what a different device is sending to the computer. 

You're absolutly right, didn't think of that!

For VIA, it would be

Have never used it, seems interesting. Although when trying it out on my windows desktop it didn't detect my K55 attached to it...

8 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Have you seen the WASD keyboards? This link should take you right down to the Macro programming sections.  Perhaps more what you are looking for?

Wow those look really cool and I'll keep them in mind. But I should have specified, that I need a solution for my MacBook when I'm on the go. I don't want to carry a separate keyboard for that. A small macro pad would be fine.

What I found super interesting was, that there is a anyhotkey script, that apparently (without trying it out) does what I want. You can press a hotkey, type the macro that you want and replay that. I'll try to post the link later on.

My solution: keysmith.app

Yes it's a software solution, but it does what I want really fast, with now "programming" needs, I can costumize the recording in an easy way (which I can't on my K55) and also the free version is plenty good for me.

Help, you guys are my last resort! Google doesn't give me any useful results -.-

I often do repetitive tasks with my keyboard. On my windows machine I use a Corsair K55 keyboard and it has these macro G-Keys on the left side, where I can just say -> Record -> type what I want it to repeat -> finished. 

Does an external macro pad (like a numpad) exist, that can do the same and also works with MacOS? I don't really want to configure the keys through software, I just want to be able to record what I do and playback the same thing with the press of a button.

You should probably look into software that makes your existing solution work in MacOS. Rarely is there a hardware solution for apple if apple doesn't make it themselves

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

As I understand it, you want to have a macro pad for macros, but you want to type on your keyboard to set the macros? I don't see a way for you to do that without software, as the macro pad would somehow have to know what you're inputting on your keyboard. 

The closest I can think of would be any numpad or macro pad using VIA. You could configure the macro in your web browser, so you don't have to install any other software, but you still have to open the browser. 

Keychron and Keebio have guides, but it's the same for other devices using VIA. I don't use macros, so I'm not sure if the macro recorder (so you can type instead of using key codes) is available in browser, but I can check in a bit. 

https://www.keychron.com/blogs/archived/how-to-use-via-to-program-your-keyboard

Edit: The macro recording works in the browser.

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

• 2 weeks later...

@seon123 I get what you're saying but also not. Why do I need software for that? The K55 doesn't use software for the recording. It has a record button on the keyboard. I have no additional software installed. So apparently the "software" is build into the keyboards mainboard. I was hope that a similar keyboard oder macro pad with an integrated recording function/button would exist, that I can use.

My problem with all software so far is, that you can't really do it on the fly. Press record - type whatever - save - recall. You have to go into the software and "program" everything and that takes up so much time...

5 hours ago, sascha2494 said:

The K55 doesn't use software for the recording. It has a record button on the keyboard. I have no additional software installed.

Yes. Because the keyboard already knows what inputs it is sending to the PC. If you have a macro pad, it would have to know what a different device is sending to the computer. 

5 hours ago, sascha2494 said:

My problem with all software so far is, that you can't really do it on the fly. Press record - type whatever - save - recall. You have to go into the software and "program" everything and that takes up so much time...

For VIA, it would be

Go to the website

Press record

Type whatever

Assign to a key

And then use it

While a tad more hassle, it's not that cumbersome. 

:)

TL;DR: Found a software solution I'm comfortable with

Still reading? Here's the (slightly) longer version:

You're absolutly right, didn't think of that!

For VIA, it would be

Have never used it, seems interesting. Although when trying it out on my windows desktop it didn't detect my K55 attached to it...

8 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Have you seen the WASD keyboards? This link should take you right down to the Macro programming sections.  Perhaps more what you are looking for?

Wow those look really cool and I'll keep them in mind. But I should have specified, that I need a solution for my MacBook when I'm on the go. I don't want to carry a separate keyboard for that. A small macro pad would be fine.

What I found super interesting was, that there is a anyhotkey script, that apparently (without trying it out) does what I want. You can press a hotkey, type the macro that you want and replay that. I'll try to post the link later on.

My solution: keysmith.app

Yes it's a software solution, but it does what I want really fast, with now "programming" needs, I can costumize the recording in an easy way (which I can't on my K55) and also the free version is plenty good for me.