4090 adaptor issue

Mando772004
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,
Just now, Mando772004 said:

ive heard about the 4090 adapter melting

No you didn’t. You’re catching headlines and misunderstanding them. The adapter that came with your GPU is fine, just plug it in all the way. If you have a PSU with its own 12VHPWR cable that’s fine too. 

Just plug it in fully and use the PC. 

The only part that you need to be worried about are early CableMod 90 degree adapters of which they recalled. 

ive heard about the 4090 adapter melting, im not using it but now im hearing or seeing people complaining about even the normal 12vhpwr cable that come with atx 3.0 psu's. im using the cable that came with my fsp hydro ptm 1200w but im a bit worried are there any precautions i should look into other than making sure the cable is fully in?

Just now, Mando772004 said:

ive heard about the 4090 adapter melting

No you didn’t. You’re catching headlines and misunderstanding them. The adapter that came with your GPU is fine, just plug it in all the way. If you have a PSU with its own 12VHPWR cable that’s fine too. 

The only part that you need to be worried about are early CableMod 90 degree adapters of which they recalled. 

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

oh ok, my bad mustve misunderstood it then, thanks!

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

All have been recalled as revisions were also faulty.

10 minutes ago, Mando772004 said:

ive heard about the 4090 adapter melting, im not using it but now im hearing or seeing people complaining about even the normal 12vhpwr cable that come with atx 3.0 psu's. im using the cable that came with my fsp hydro ptm 1200w but im a bit worried are there any precautions i should look into other than making sure the cable is fully in?

For people that misuse them, sure. That involves either bending the adapter to a ridiculous amount that can break traces, or not seating them properly.

As other have mentioned, the recent recalls and issues are with those who are using 3rd party adapters. The best options are either the included adapter, a first party internally adapted cable, or a native 12VHPWR PCIe 5.0 enabled new unit. Out of all of them, the first party internally adapted cables have the least amount of problems, since even native 12VHPWR has intermittent sensing issues.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

For people that misuse them, sure. That involves either bending the adapter to a ridiculous amount that can break traces, or not seating them properly.

As other have mentioned, the recent recalls and issues are with those who are using 3rd party adapters. The best options are either the included adapter, a first party internally adapted cable, or a native 12VHPWR PCIe 5.0 enabled new unit. Out of all of them, the first party internally adapted cables have the least amount of problems, since even native 12VHPWR has intermittent sensing issues.

i think you mentioned before the 12VHPWR cables that come with pcie 5.0 PSU having issues where the pc would boot but no display is being output right? correct me if i am wrong

1 minute ago, Mando772004 said:

i think you mentioned before the 12VHPWR cables that come with pcie 5.0 PSU having issues where the pc would boot but no display is being output right? correct me if i am wrong

Yup, weird POSTing issues and fan ramping issues, best I've concluded is with 12VHPWR sensing lines, I don't experience that using the adapter. I just deal with it, but I could get another 2x8pin to 12VHPWR to fix it, but I gave that to a friend who was still using the included adapter with a compatible Seasonic 850W PSU.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Just now, Agall said:

Yup, weird POSTing issues and fan ramping issues, best I've concluded is with 12VHPWR sensing lines, I don't experience that using the adapter. I just deal with it, but I could get another 2x8pin to 12VHPWR to fix it, but I gave that to a friend who was still using the included adapter with a compatible Seasonic 850W PSU.

i did have issues where it would boot with no display, i just restart the pc and it works however when i got my new mobo i noticed that the screen where it says press del to enter bios my monitor doesnt display it, it barely passes it and i had to like connect hdmi to my tv instead of DP to my monitors to fix it, any idea why that happens?

4 minutes ago, Mando772004 said:

i did have issues where it would boot with no display, i just restart the pc and it works however when i got my new mobo i noticed that the screen where it says press del to enter bios my monitor doesnt display it, it barely passes it and i had to like connect hdmi to my tv instead of DP to my monitors to fix it, any idea why that happens?

GPU doesn't POST. Mine will run into the problem where it'll have a VGA POST red LED lit and be a black screen, sometimes it works through that but sometimes doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't produce a display output until after I hear the Windows sound that its fully booted.

The only way I've found around it was not using native 1:1 12VHPWR. If you're not using that, then I would suggest forcing PCIe 4.0 or 3.0 in the UEFI on PCIE_1.

Overall, its only sometimes annoying. Only occasionally do I have to restart more than once to get it to POST properly. There's a cocktail of UEFI settings related to PCIE_1 that I've experimented with, the only thing I can tell being that the GPU doesn't POST because of sense pin issues on the 12VHPWR connection, specifically related to what cable I'm using.

I've had a ton of issues with cables and PSUs related to 12VHPWR, none of which involved frying components because I've always seated the connector properly and not bent the hell out of the cable.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Quite happy with my MODDIY cable even though it took ages to get here. You give them a length, sense pins location (up or down), sleeving material and PSU make/model and they build it to order. Cleaned up the rats nest that was the stock adapter.

image.thumb.jpeg.7313ab44e4f2a0822a5e4228a4ef2b0d.jpeg