Steam Downloads

Slottr

So I've got a weird one that I cant seem to pin down.

Context: we have FTTP, 500 down / 250 up; this system is connected directly to our modem. Running Windows 10.

Steam has had this behaviour on only this system, where the downloads are slowed to a maximum of about 30Mbps. Downloads from other game services, ie epic, are consistent with about 240-300Mbps down. 

Other systems on the same line are able to download from Steam, on the same server at rates of 250-400Mbps. 

However when a VPN is enabled (Windscribe, PIA) it shoots up to about 70-100 Mbps.

This system in question has had sockets reset, DNS flushed, IPs refreshed -  just about everything I can think of. 

Steam download settings have been altered to change download limit and the servers - no change. 

Firewall exceptions have been made and confirmed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just out of curiosity, can you do a file transfer over your local internet through steam to another computer?

I don't know if I'm wording it correctly, but when steam transfers a game from one PC to another over local internet.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

What's the dl speed on this PC when running Speednet or such ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

5 minutes ago, LukeNukem9 said:

Just out of curiosity, can you do a file transfer over your local internet through steam to another computer?

I don't know if I'm wording it correctly, but when steam transfers a game from one PC to another over local internet.

Yes actually thats the first thing I tested - LAN transfers through steam are entirely fine 

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

What's the dl speed on this PC when running Speednet or such ?

Accurate to my advertised rate 

A VPN working feels like the modem or ISP is throttling steam traffic to that machine for some reason.

Any QoS or anything set on the router for that machine by chance?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, BitGhost said:

A VPN working feels like the modem or ISP is throttling steam traffic to that machine for some reason.

That was my initial thought as well, but that doesn't resolve why it works on another system on the same line. I believe its local to this system. 

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Any QoS or anything set on the router for that machine by chance?

Nope, we are a free for all household lol. Regardless, downloads arent throttled in any other software 

Update to this:

Ran TCP Optimizer, rebooted, and seems to have fixed the issue. 

Digging through right now to find out what it exactly changed, I saw a number of reg key directories in the log files.