Open vs Closed Back Headphones

eZGraviity

What type of headphones are better for FPS shooter type games, specifically Warzone. I've heard that open-backed have a better soundstage, but closed-back have better imaging. Is this true, and which is better for FPS games? Really looking for which one can best and most precisely depict footsteps and their approximate direction.

5 minutes ago, eZGraviity said:

What type of headphones are better for FPS shooter type games, specifically Warzone. I've heard that open-backed have a better soundstage, but closed-back have better imaging. Is this true, and which is better for FPS games? Really looking for which one can best and most precisely depict footsteps and their approximate direction.

Won't really make the biggest difference, but closed might be better if you got noise around you. Closed headphone will make you talk louder though 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 hours ago, eZGraviity said:

Open back sound better, if you are in a quiet environment and with nobody around to disturb with the sound that will leak out.

Close back is better in a noisy environment or where sound leaking would be disruptive to people around you.

Personally I got an EPOS H6PRO on sale and its one of the best sounding and most comfortable headsets I've ever owned, and makes me sweat a lot less than the closed-back headphones I've had before.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Generally, open backs are a little better at that, but its not much. I, for example use Austrian Audio HI-X 60 for gaming (and music) and they are really good for that. And they are closed back. So in short, a good closed back can be better than most open back headphones, but is not necessarily always better. I wouldn`t reccommend them if you only want them for gaming, since you will get absolutely good enough headphones for that for far less. But when music comes into the mix, they are a good option.

Open backs do soundstage and imaging better than closed backs, even the best closed backs (Audeze Maxwell and Aurorus Australis literally the best closed headphones out there) get outperformed by cheaper open backs

This is just me.... but what I have realized (sadly after having maybe $1500~ of headphones / gear..)    I don't really like using headphones most of the time..   So if i was in an environment where open back headphones are viable I'd rather use speakers... If making a bunch of noise is going to tick other people off, I use my DT770 Pro 80s ... but I mainly only use headphones at those times when using speakers would be sort of obnoxious.

If I game with my Senn HD6XX and my wife is near~ she will get miffed about the sound leakage... if she is not ~near I'd just use my Speakers, if she is well I'd go for the DT770 Pro 80s.

my advice if open headphones would work ...get speakers.. if sound leak is a problem then use closed headphones... I don't know or care if the DT770s are the "best" but they are good enough and I have had mine for about a decade now and they work perfectly after 10yrs~

(my speakers are kinda awesome however...) 

image.thumb.jpeg.5259d6fd9c258906c09841b7c89e073d.jpeg