Daisy Chain a RTX 4080 Super

Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
13 minutes ago, ItzzJohn said:

Hello everyone,

The RTX 4080 Super just launched and i'm thinking of cancelling my order on the 4070 Ti Super because it's just a 100€ difference.

But I just checked that the 4080 Super needs 3 power connectors and my PSU that is a MSI MPG A850GF haves 2 PCIe 6+2 pin and 2 Daisy Chain cables (also 6+2).

My question is, is it safe or should I use that daisy chain cable on the 4080 Super?

Thank you.

PS:

Also, is it worth the upgrade? I have a i9-10900K, 32GB of DDR4 and I use a 1080p 240hz monitor.

That is a good PSU and shouldn't be an issue. I daisychain my RTX 4080 with my RM750i and its been running without issues since November 2022.  Mine is overclocked from 2775mhz to 3050mhz on core and +1600mhz on memory as well.

Daisychaining is completely fine with quality modern PSU's and was more of an issue with lower tier PSU's from 2007.

Hello everyone,

The RTX 4080 Super just launched and i'm thinking of cancelling my order on the 4070 Ti Super because it's just a 100€ difference.

But I just checked that the 4080 Super needs 3 power connectors and my PSU that is a MSI MPG A850GF haves 2 PCIe 6+2 pin and 2 Daisy Chain cables (also 6+2).

My question is, is it safe or should I use that daisy chain cable on the 4080 Super?

Thank you.

PS:

Also, is it worth the upgrade? I have a i9-10900K, 32GB of DDR4 and I use a 1080p 240hz monitor.

4 minutes ago, ItzzJohn said:

That's a pretty decent power supply so it should handle it just fine. 

In reality, it's best to have separate cables since you'll spread the load out across 3 PCIe cables instead of on two...theoretically.... but you can get away with daisy chain on this PSU. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

6 minutes ago, ItzzJohn said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

PS:

People don't recommend using a daisy chain cable, but I've personally never seen an issue with it. Depending on what you play look at some reviews and take them with a grain of salt for what your performance will be in games. I run a 6950XT overclocked on daisy chain cables and have no issue even when doing all day gaming sessions at 4k

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Thank you for explaining 🙂.

I'll just keep my order on the 4070 Ti Super just to be safe 😅. I know you guys said it isn't a problem but I just want to play it safe.

Thank you for the quick replies btw.

13 minutes ago, ItzzJohn said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

PS:

That is a good PSU and shouldn't be an issue. I daisychain my RTX 4080 with my RM750i and its been running without issues since November 2022.  Mine is overclocked from 2775mhz to 3050mhz on core and +1600mhz on memory as well.

Daisychaining is completely fine with quality modern PSU's and was more of an issue with lower tier PSU's from 2007.

2 minutes ago, ItzzJohn said:

Thank you for explaining 🙂.

I'll just keep my order on the 4070 Ti Super just to be safe 😅. I know you guys said it isn't a problem but I just want to play it safe.

Thank you for the quick replies btw.

Its not going to be an issue. You can safely buy the 4080 and Daisychain it.

It draws 320w of power and each 8 pin can supply 150w..  You are way overspeccing the power with 3x8pin at 450w anyways so the power cables aren't even fully used.

image.png.f98ca134eea1ef90635dfb994bb8e2e4.png

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

Its not going to be an issue. You can safely buy the 4080 and Daisychain it.

It draws 320w of power and each 8 pin can supply 150w..  You are way overspeccing the power with 3x8pin at 450w anyways so the power cables aren't even fully used.

image.png.f98ca134eea1ef90635dfb994bb8e2e4.png

I was just quoting your comment ahaha.

I was going to say that I checked the manual of my PSU and it says that I can plug 2 connectors to the VGA 1 and another one on the VGA 2 for GPU that consume 300W-350W up.

picture1.png

Thank you for the explanation!

I'll consider cancelling my 4070 Ti Super order since I just got an email from the store saying that my pre-order "sold out"?

Anyway, thank you once again.

1 minute ago, ItzzJohn said:

I was just quoting your comment ahaha.

I was going to say that I checked the manual of my PSU and it says that I can plug 2 connectors to the VGA 1 and another one on the VGA 2 for GPU that consume 300W-350W up.

Absolutely no problem at all.  Use 1 daisychain for 2x8pin and use the other Daisychain cable with the main cable to the 3rd 8pin connector and just ziptie the leftover daisychain 8pin down the main cable to tuck it away.

5 minutes ago, ItzzJohn said:

Thank you for the explanation!

I'll consider cancelling my 4070 Ti Super order since I just got an email from the store saying that my pre-order "sold out"?

Anyway, thank you once again.

The 4070 Ti Super is 285w with 2x8pin totalling 300w... I'd rather have a 4080 at 320w with 3x8pin that can total 450w!  Even if one cable is daisychained.

7 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Absolutely no problem at all.  Use 1 daisychain for 2x8pin and use the other Daisychain cable with the main cable to the 3rd 8pin connector and just ziptie the leftover daisychain 8pin down the main cable to tuck it away.

Isn't it better to use the two seperate PCIe 8 pin cables and one daisy chain?

Just now, ItzzJohn said:

Oh sorry I read it wrong, please ignore this message.

Just now, ItzzJohn said:

If that's what you have then absolutely, that would basically mean you got 3 non daisychained cables 🙂  Just ziptie the other 8pin from the daisychain cable down the main cable.

My PSU only came with 2x8pin daisychained cables but I see your first comment with your PSU having 2x2x8pin cables and 2x8pin daisychain.

3 minutes ago, ItzzJohn said:

Oh sorry I read it wrong, please ignore this message.

Dont worry about it. Either way you have more than enough power and a safe high quality PSU.

Buy the 4080 and start gaming 🙂

Just now, Hinjima said:

If that's what you have then absolutely, that would basically mean you got 3 non daisychained cables 🙂  Just ziptie the other 8pin from the daisychain cable down the main cable.

My PSU only came with 2x8pin daisychained cables but I see your first comment with your PSU having 2x2x8pin cables and 2x8pin daisychain.

Yeah my PSU came with 2 "normal" PCIe cables and 2 daisy chained cables.

At first I was confused about those cables but later I discovered for what was it for...

I'm a noob when it comes to PCs so that's why i'm asking a lot of questions ahahah.

Thank you for ur time tho. 

Just now, ItzzJohn said:

Yeah my PSU came with 2 "normal" PCIe cables and 2 daisy chained cables.

At first I was confused about those cables but later I discovered for what was it for...

I'm a noob when it comes to PCs so that's why i'm asking a lot of questions ahahah.

Thank you for ur time tho. 

Absolutely!  Thats what the Forum is for 🙂 We are here to help!

If you have further questions you can tag me here or DM me as well, I'll help you out.

I also have to say that I am absolutely enjoying my RTX 4080! No issues, rock stable, overclocked hard and runs games like no tomorrow! 😄

Quiet too.. 62c at 33% fanspeed during heavy loads.

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Absolutely!  Thats what the Forum is for 🙂 We are here to help!

If you have further questions you can tag me here or DM me as well, I'll help you out.

I also have to say that I am absolutely enjoying my RTX 4080! No issues, rock stable, overclocked hard and runs games like no tomorrow! 😄

Quiet too.. 62c at 33% fanspeed during heavy loads.

That's awesome! I've been using a GTX 1060 3GB since 2020 😬, because of the pandemic and the shortage and yeah all of that combined...

Now i'm less worried about that power "issue". Now I just need a new case in order to fit that bad boy in.

And in terms of temperatures I think im good because I actually bought 3 noctua fans and they are really good. It was really worth the 27€ I spent on those.

Cheers mate and have a good one.

3 minutes ago, ItzzJohn said:

That's awesome! I've been using a GTX 1060 3GB since 2020 😬, because of the pandemic and the shortage and yeah all of that combined...

Now i'm less worried about that power "issue". Now I just need a new case in order to fit that bad boy in.

And in terms of temperatures I think im good because I actually bought 3 noctua fans and they are really good. It was really worth the 27€ I spent on those.

Cheers mate and have a good one.

Yup! The coolers on the 4080 and 4080 Supers are overbuilt and this is good 🙂  I run 3 intakes and 1 exhaust in my case as well, all noctuas!

But as so low RPM I can't hear anything, I like silence.

1060 3gb to 4080 Super will be an absolute mad jump!   Hope you got a good monitor too 😄

1 hour ago, ItzzJohn said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

PS:

Isn't a 4080 super, or a 4070ti for the matter, completely unnecessary for 1080p gaming...even if you are trying to take advantage of 240hz?

Unless, you are planning on upgrading/replacing your monitor any time soon(which I'd advise) I think you are just wasting money.