Seriously, what is with these folded cables?

So in the recent livestream Linus pointed out a weird folded usb cable with heatshrink on it. I literally just recieved an ancient set of headphones from the 1930's with the same thing. Is this some kind of thing people do because of an urban myth? 

image_2024-01-31_213559012.png

image_2024-01-31_213905960.png

This will most likely be some form of strain relief. If you rip on the cable this thing will dampen the impact and might save your plugs / sockets.

BTW, I would recommend a second fold, so the cable doesn't do a 180 degree turn but 360 degree.

9 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

This will most likely be some form of strain relief. If you rip on the cable this thing will dampen the impact and might save your plugs / sockets.

BTW, I would recommend a second fold, so the cable doesn't do a 180 degree turn but 360 degree.

Still makes no logical sense to me.

Especially for headphones this can make sense. I have a headphone cable with 5 cm of curling just for this reason. If it got catched on something, you don't rip the cable out of the headphones.

But maybe somebody has another insight.

If that black tape isn't very flexible, there won't be a dampening effect like with curled cables. 

The second pic shows quite a sharp bend that could break the copper wire. I know, it is stranded and soft. Still not good practice.

Is that factory made, or someone just put some DIY electrical tape on? 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro